Default Shoplifting in NY, first offense

Hello... last night i was caught stealing 3 cans of beer froma near by grocery store, but i am only 19. i was caught and arrested (prints and all) i was advised in my consultation with a lawyer to plead not guilty and see what kinda deal i could get, but i kind of just want to get it over with. what do you think would happen if i were to do so?

Default Re: Shoplifting in NY, first offense

Also, i never left the store with products, just caught concealing them.... dont know if thta makes a difference since i did have money and was going to Try to pay for them

panther10758 Guest

Depends on your States Laws. Many states consider concealment a crime either way its minor offense your looking at

Probabtion

fines

Community service

Possible ban from store

possible Civil demand (this is unrelated to court)

Consult a Criminal defense Attorney and look inot diversion.

they might also send you to alcohol program since you stole alcohol

Quote Quoting pisuzu74
    View Post
    Also, i never left the store with products, just caught concealing them.... dont know if thta makes a difference since i did have money and was going to Try to pay for them
    New York statute 155.05 Larceny; defined.

1. A person steals property and commits larceny when, with intent to deprive another of property or to appropriate the same to himself or to a third person, he wrongfully takes, obtains or withholds such property from an owner thereof.

2. Larceny includes a wrongful taking, obtaining or withholding of another`s property, with the intent prescribed in subdivision one of this section, committed in any of the following ways:

(a) By conduct heretofore defined or known as common law larceny by trespassory taking, common law larceny by trick, embezzlement, or obtaining property by false pretenses;
    Related link:

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766

Well i have talked with several lawyers today and none are tooo expensive, but most said that i could probably get the charges dropped even with out a lawyer... im just wondering how serious the judge/DA would take me. Also, since i do not live in this town and live about an hour away, will this make any differences? would they help with not making me drive down allthe time for any disciplinary actions they take?

If you have a pretrial hearing or similar scheduling hearing in advance of any trial date, when you would have the opportunity to meet with the prosecutor and discuss a deal, you can try to negotiate at that time and see what happens, yet still bring in a lawyer if you can't get the result you want. If distance is an issue, you're worried about negotiating, and price isn't an obstacle, you can consider using a lawyer just for your peace of mind.

sounds kinda dumb to ask but.. when i walk in for my first court appearance date, do i plead innocent or guilty if i want to try and get a deal

Not guilty. Once you plead guilty, deal time is over.

panther10758 Guest

Do you have an Attorney? If not deal will have to be made by you and thats alot tougher

1. Sponsored Links