Default Can a Fourteen-Year-Old Child Get Emancipated

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Indiana
    I am a 14 year old girl who has gone through so many custody battles between my parents its not even funny any more. Every time I turn around my dad threatens me to take my mom to court for contempt of something stupid so he can gain full custody of me. I am unable to choose which parent I want to live with full time, so I was wondering if getting emancipated would help so that the judge would hear my voice and not my parents constant bickering. I wish to live full time with my mother and only see my dad every other weekend. My father and step mother have put my through so much emotional damage that i probably couldn't even explain it all. Just the other day I got into a small argument with my dad because I didn't know what year my step-grandparents bought a truck, and it ended with him getting in my face and calling me a stone cold, self conceited bitch. They have put me through years of pointless counseling and I am now on ADHD medication because they think that that would solve their problems. I know for a fact I have depression, and frankly I don't know how much longer I can take this. Please, help me.

Default Re: Can a Fourteen-Year-Old Child Get Emancipated

Read the stickied threads. You do not qualify for emancipation.

Emancipated minors are not subject to child custody proceedings, as they live independently and support themselves.

There is only one state that will even consider emancipating a 14 year old; that state is not Indiana; nothing you have posted suggests that you would be eligible for emancipation even if you were in that state.

An emancipated minor has to be able to pay all of her own expenses, including rent, utilities, food, clothing, medical care, transportation, insurance, school fees and supplies, staples, etc, all paid for by you alone and no assistance from anyone, while still going to school and getting better than average grades.

Quote Quoting awesomesauce_01
    View Post
    My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Indiana
    I am a 14 year old girl who has gone through so many custody battles between my parents its not even funny any more. Every time I turn around my dad threatens me to take my mom to court for contempt of something stupid so he can gain full custody of me. I am unable to choose which parent I want to live with full time, so I was wondering if getting emancipated would help so that the judge would hear my voice and not my parents constant bickering. I wish to live full time with my mother and only see my dad every other weekend. My father and step mother have put my through so much emotional damage that i probably couldn't even explain it all. Just the other day I got into a small argument with my dad because I didn't know what year my step-grandparents bought a truck, and it ended with him getting in my face and calling me a stone cold, self conceited bitch. They have put me through years of pointless counseling and I am now on ADHD medication because they think that that would solve their problems. I know for a fact I have depression, and frankly I don't know how much longer I can take this. Please, help me.
    I do not think that you really want to be emancipated. I think that you are just tired of the custody battles want your opinion to be heard.

The only way that is going to happen is if you are totally honest with your parents, in as respectful a manner as possible...with BOTH of your parents.

However, judges in Indiana do sometimes listen to what children have to say. Your mother could file to modify parenting time and ask the judge to allow you to speak to him in chambers. If the judge feels that your concerns are valid, the judge may seriously take your wishes into consideration when making a decision.

1. Sponsored Links