Default Guardian is Making Disparaging Comments About a Child's Parent

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Arkansas

In 2011 my daughter was ordered to be in the custody of her grandmother after her mother passed(this was not without me putting up a legal battle). Not long ago my daughter(now 11), told me that her grandmother was telling her that I abandoned her when she was a baby, that my mother and I kidnapped her, and that all I want to do take her from her grandmother and have her grandmother thrown in jail. These things that she is being told are not only blatent lies, but have kept my daughter from wanting a closer relationship with me. As a result, I had my daughter call different family members and ask them what happened in the past so that she could try to decide the truth for herself. I am afraid however, that all of this may have affected her in a negative way. She broke down and cried, apologizing to me for being distant and that she didn't want to live with me. From what I gathered from her, she has been brainwashed into thinking that I can't take care of her and she honestly feels that unhappy at her grandmother's home. I am extremely worried about her and looking for advice on what I should/can do to make things better for her.

Default Re: Do I Have Rights, What Can I Do

The grandmother may or may not have bad mouthed you to your daughter. Often a child plays both ends against the middle. Since her Mom isn't here, it's grandma. Have you considered family counseling with your daughter ? She may not want to live with grandma for varies reasons and doesn't understand that living with you is not an option. By varies reasons I mean grandma may not like some of her friends, may not let her go some places she wants to go, etc. Since the court gave custody to grandma after you fought her in court. I am assuming that tgd court wouldn't rule any differently now.

Default Re: Do I Have Rights, What Can I Do

Quote Quoting thelineman
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Arkansas

In 2011 my daughter was ordered to be in the custody of her grandmother after her mother passed(this was not without me putting up a legal battle). Not long ago my daughter(now 11), told me that her grandmother was telling her that I abandoned her when she was a baby, that my mother and I kidnapped her, and that all I want to do take her from her grandmother and have her grandmother thrown in jail. These things that she is being told are not only blatent lies, but have kept my daughter from wanting a closer relationship with me. As a result, I had my daughter call different family members and ask them what happened in the past so that she could try to decide the truth for herself. I am afraid however, that all of this may have affected her in a negative way. She broke down and cried, apologizing to me for being distant and that she didn't want to live with me. From what I gathered from her, she has been brainwashed into thinking that I can't take care of her and she honestly feels that unhappy at her grandmother's home. I am extremely worried about her and looking for advice on what I should/can do to make things better for her.
    Oh Dad... that was an horrible, horrible mistake you made. You should have never, never, NEVER put her in the middle like that.

You should speak with an attorney if you want custody; it's not impossible that the court may find it better to leave her with Grandma.

1. Sponsored Links