Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Effect of Income on Social Security Retirement Benefits

I filed for retirement Social Security. This started December 2014. I received my first Social Security check in February 2015, covering December 2014 and January 2015. Then I started getting regular monthly checks. I filled out all the forms and gave the SSA all of my information. I filed my 2014 tax return in February 2015 and got a refund.

My work history for 2014 was that I was employed until April 14, 2015. After that I was living on unemployment and savings from the job I had. The savings ran out in about early 2015.

Today I got a letter from the SSA that is throwing me into a crisis.

They asked for my earnings for each month of 2014. The letter said "Usually if you make more than the earnings limit, which in 2014 is $15,480, we have to hold back some of your Social Security. However, if we know how much you earned before taxes in each month in 2014 we may be able to pay you more.For the following months in 2014 you previously told us that you would not earn over $1290 and would not work over 45 hours in self employment." Even though they said, "You said" I never said this and I have no idea what the 45 hours means (per month?).

I told them I did not have employment in ***2015*** and I gave them complete information about 2014.

My wages for January through April are $33201. My only Social Security payment for 2014 was $1761 in December and I received the check in February 2015.

I would be most appreciative if someone could explain to me what is going to happen. If they take back any of my benefits I will become homeless, so I am very worried. Right now I am living simply on the monthly Social Security and I am OK, but I won't be if they suddenly deduct money from my monthly check.

Default Re: Can the SSA Take Back Money They Paid Me (Emergency)

Quote Quoting JQx5Rc9
    View Post

My wages for January through April are $33201. My only Social Security payment for 2014 was $1761 in December and I received the check in February 2015.
    I don't see what the issue is.

You could have made 100,000 by April 2014 and still have been eligible for SS Retirement at the end of the year.

I suggest you take the letter and all the documents and income information and go to your nearest social security office and see if they can explain what's happening.

The w2 gives the annual amount and SSA wants you to tell them what MONTHS it was earned. There is what people plan and then there is what happens. Not always the same. And they want your plan for 2015. Not a big deal unless you don't respond.

When did you reach full retirement age? If you were under full retirement age for all of 2014, they will deduct $1 for every $2 you earned.in 2014 that was above $15,720. Starting with the month you reached full retirement age, their are no limits on your earnings. If you weren't full retirement age in 2014, you need to prove how much of your income was from unemployment and other sources.

I started Social Security early. In December on 2014 I was 63.
    This link was provided on another thread in this forum.
    http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/...book-1807.html
    Does this mean they won't deduct anything from my December 2014 payment because my income was earned during January - April?
    Will they deduct money from my Social Security and for how long?
    Are there hardship cases against them taking all the money at once and leaving me homeless?
    Do they take money from 2014 but not 2015?
    Am I supposed to get more if I earned money in 2014 and paid withholding?

- - - Updated - - -

I started at age 63. Why does the person writing below think that money has to be paid back. I worked January - April 14. Then I stopped working. Does that mean that if you retire in December instead of January of the next year you have to pay back based on the whole year, or does the monthly view described in the link below mean they don't take any money back, or do they continuously subtract until age 66, or do I get more because I paid more withholding into the system in 2014? I am completely confused and don't understand any of this. Thank you for any information. I need to understand this before I go to the Social Security office because if they deduct money I am in danger of homelessness and I need to know what my rights are. I am OK with the current monthly income.

You have to be Full Retirement Age for there to be no income limits. You were Not Full Retirement Age.

I just found this. It seems that the earnings before the retirement month will not result in a reduction of the payments.
    http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...lecting-social
    It would be a great if a lawyer here can verify this before I go to the Social Security office. I will bring the printouts of these links in case they try to take back any money.

Default Re: Effect of Income on Social Security Retirement Benefits

Quote Quoting JQx5Rc9
    View Post
    I filed for retirement Social Security. This started December 2014. I received my first Social Security check in February 2015, covering December 2014 and January 2015. Then I started getting regular monthly checks. I filled out all the forms and gave the SSA all of my information. I filed my 2014 tax return in February 2015 and got a refund.

My work history for 2014 was that I was employed until April 14, 2015. After that I was living on unemployment and savings from the job I had. The savings ran out in about early 2015.

Today I got a letter from the SSA that is throwing me into a crisis.

They asked for my earnings for each month of 2014. The letter said "Usually if you make more than the earnings limit, which in 2014 is $15,480, we have to hold back some of your Social Security. However, if we know how much you earned before taxes in each month in 2014 we may be able to pay you more.For the following months in 2014 you previously told us that you would not earn over $1290 and would not work over 45 hours in self employment." Even though they said, "You said" I never said this and I have no idea what the 45 hours means (per month?).

I told them I did not have employment in ***2015*** and I gave them complete information about 2014.

I would be most appreciative if someone could explain to me what is going to happen. If they take back any of my benefits I will become homeless, so I am very worried. Right now I am living simply on the monthly Social Security and I am OK, but I won't be if they suddenly deduct money from my monthly check.
    If all of the dates in your post are correct, you may have a problem. If you meant to say that you worked January through April 2014 rather than 2015 (which is what you wrote) you should be fine.

The employment was until April 2014, not 2015. The above was a typo and I will see if I can edit it.

Maybe the real purpose of SSA has gotten lost . There are many individuals including my self struggling with similar difficulties. The first form letter I received about Overpayment , two SSA employees misinterpreted it and gave me wrong information. At one point I realized it was designed to be confusing and conflicting within itself because whoever designed it was confused and conflicted within themselves. Computers may spit out form letters but ultimately a human designed it. You have a right to appeal any decision . Well let me correct that. SSA will tell you, you have a right to appeal a decision but might do what ever to make life miserable if you do appeal. Sort of reminds me of the Mafia movies I used to watch. Seriously ! I wish you well in this matter. It would be awful to lose a home over this ! I lost a home for other reasons and am down to living in an RV. Which is OK because it will be much easier for my son to deal with if I should collaspe under the stress I am under. I got the same in the form letter I received, " You said " when I never said such a thing. I wonder what a Psychologist expert in projection should say about that !

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast