Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Purchased a Lot, and Developer Slashed the Prices the Next Day

My question involves real estate located in the State of: north carolina

Hi - I bought a lot in north carolina and we agreed on the price and signed a contract on Wednesday. On Thursday the lot next to the one I bought was listed on MLS and the price was 30% lower than the price the developer had shown me that it cost. Earlier he told me there was lots of interest from people and builders in the lots yet they cut the price when they listed it. Do I have any ability to walk away from the contract I have signed (have given them 10% earnest money as well) or any ability to try to get our price lowered? Any help much appreciated thanks!

Default Re: Bought Lot then Developer Slashed Prices the Next Day

Read your contract to see what options you have, that's where you'll find your answer.

Default Re: Bought Lot then Developer Slashed Prices the Next Day

Pay keen attention to the finance contingency if there is one ...salvation might be in there....details matter a lot!

Default Re: Purchased a Lot, and Developer Slashed the Prices the Next Day

The contingencies in your purchase contract are key. If, for example, you have a contingency for financing, you may be able to escape your contract if your bank refuses to lend based upon the property being 'worth' 30% less than you offered to pay for it.

If there's not a contingency in your purchase contract that allows you to escape your bargain, odds are you're stuck with it.

Quote Quoting sarahsarah8
    View Post
    Do I have any ability to walk away from the contract I have signed (have given them 10% earnest money as well) or any ability to try to get our price lowered? Any help much appreciated thanks!
    Unless there are additional penalties to losing the 10% down payment, which I doubt, you can absorb the 10% loss, and purchase another lot with the 30% discount provided there are more available. That still gives you a 20% discount.
    You can also discuss the idea above with the builder and request a 30% discount settling down to 20%.

Wrong. A purchase contract has been signed. Absent a contingency that allows the buyer to avoid paying for the lot he bought, the builder can come after him for the difference between the contractual sales price and the lot's ultimate FMV selling price.

Depends on the default clause..devil is in details

This isn't described as an option contract. It's described as a purchase contract.

Many a purchase contract contains a finance contingeny....and many a wise developer seeks to lock in outcome by requiring buyer to use sellers resources .....but that said the Op needs to know what cards they may hold BEFORE they discuss anything with seller.

Quote Quoting HRinDEVON
    View Post
    Many a purchase contract contains a finance contingeny....and many a wise developer seeks to lock in outcome by requiring buyer to use sellers resources .....but that said the Op needs to know what cards they may hold BEFORE they discuss anything with seller.
    Bear in mind that the buyer must pursue financing in good faith under the typical finance contingency provision. Deliberately acting to sabotage the lender’s approval to escape the contract could lead to a lot of problems, not the least of which is messy and expensive litigation over the matter.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast