Default Child Support Arrears Inaccurately Reported After Termination of Child Support

My question involves child support in the State of: az

Long story short, I married my daughters mother in 2008 when our daughter was 2. We went into the Department of child support to terminate the child support and went on with our lives. Today we are still happily married.

We recently Built a home and I am now trying to switch from the construction loan to the permanant loan. The bank noticed that on my credit report it still showed I owe child support to my CURRENT WIFE. I went into the child support offices and they told me that it closed in 2008 (as it should have) and that I need to fix it in the courts. I went to my local court house and they told me that it is the Department of child supports issue. They keep passing the buck off on each other and I am getting nowhere, having been to both places many times talking to many different people about it. I dont know where to turn. I really cant afford a lawyer, all my funds are tied up in our new home. If anyone has any ideas for me, I would be forever grateful.
    -Josh

Default Re: Child Support Arrears Inaccurately Reported After Termination of Child Support

How much money are we talking about? It may be that the cheapest and easiest solution is to pay the alleged arrears, which will then be forwarded to your spouse (possibly less a small administrative fee), ending the issue.

The wrinkle would be if your spouse was formerly receiving public assistance, such that some of the money is owed to the state.

Default Re: Child Support Arrears Inaccurately Reported After Termination of Child Support

I would love to just do that. Two problems though.

1. It has been accumulating since 2008 and the amount is over 49 thousand.
    2. The case has been closed within the Department of child supports system so I cant pay on a closed account.

Apparently it is somehow open in the courts still, but they cannot figure out why. In 2008 I received a satisfaction of judgement which zeroed everything out within the courts. It was supposed to have been closed for good then. Somehow someone made a mistake and the numbers kept building again after that. As far as I can tell, they simply forgot to close the case.

I am having a consultation with a lawyer on tuesday. This is obviously over my head. It is so infuriating, should be so simple to fix. Its not like I am battling an ex over money, me and my wife are on the same team here on this. The government is so convoluted with all these different branches that are not allowed to communicate with each other.

Also, you peaked my curiosity with that last statement. Not saying this is the case here, but why would we have to pay back public assistance? I assume you mean things like food stamps. Do you mean a case where she was reveiving food stamps and not reporting the child support as income or something like that? Would the courts assume we were secretly acting split up so she could gain food stamps for us to share? Again, just curious.

It should be simple to fix, as long as no money is owed to the state; but the problem is that without knowing what went wrong it's hard to know what to do to fix the problem.

There's a joke about a mechanic who retires, then is called back to work because a very expensive machine broke down and nobody can figure out how to fix it. He tells them it will cost them $10,000. When he goes into the workplace, he goes up to the machine, takes a hammer, taps a particular point on the machine, and it starts to work. Management balks at paying his fee and asks for a bill. His bill reads, "Hitting machine with a hammer, $5. Knowing where to hit the machine, $9,995."

I'm not saying that it should cost you $9,995 to figure out what went wrong -- just that when you do pinpoint the problem this may turn out to be an easy question to answer, but without access to the court records or the child support records it's really difficult to give you useful suggestions.

1. Sponsored Links