Question Building a Medical Record Before Applying for Social Security Disability Benefits

I'm in NJ.

Wondering how long to allow medical records to build up before applying for social security disability for severe depression/anxiety/bipolar.

I've seen a blanket rule of two years on various web sites, but figured I'd ask here... Anybody see a an SSD application succeed on less than two years of medical records reflecting the disability?

Default Re: Building a Medical Record Before Applying for Social Security Disability Benefits

There's no hard and fast rule -- it's going to depend on what's in your medical record, and the extent to which you and your doctors can document actual disability.

Default Re: Building a Medical Record Before Applying for Social Security Disability Benefits

Quote Quoting Hagstrom78
    View Post
    I'm in NJ.

Wondering how long to allow medical records to build up before applying for social security disability for severe depression/anxiety/bipolar.

I've seen a blanket rule of two years on various web sites, but figured I'd ask here... Anybody see a an SSD application succeed on less than two years of medical records reflecting the disability?
    Many years ago, my late husband was diagnosed in the February and we applied in March, and he was approved at the end of July; his disability date went back to his initial diagnosis. He died Christmas Day the same year, and his was not a TERI case.

There is no rule. None.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Many years ago, my late husband was diagnosed in the February and we applied in March, and he was approved at the end of July; his disability date went back to his initial diagnosis. He died Christmas Day the same year, and his was not a TERI case.

There is no rule. None.
    Thank you very much.

For mental impairments, SSA uses 2 yrs in medical records and for physical 1 yr. If you're still able to perform SGA, which in 2015 is $1,090 a month you're not considered disabled. It also isn't the number of medical records you have, it is what is in them. For mental impairments you need to be seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist. You can also be seeing a therapist or counselor. But in order for their medical records to carry weight you need to be seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist. It isn'pt a diagnosis that is important, it is documentation in your medical proving your ability to function is so severely impaired that you can't perform SGA doing jobs in the national economy if you're under 50.

1. Sponsored Links