Unhappy Claim for Accident Damage Made to a Rear-Ended Driver

My question involves a car accident that occurred in the state of Florida.

I believe I am the target of a scam... But I'm not certain! I am hoping to gain some perspective from people in this forum. Thanks in advance!

The short story:
    Somebody rear-ended me on May 25. We waited for the police for two hours, and mutually agreed to cancel the police call – so no police report. His insurance paid for all my repairs no problem. Another driver stopped at the scene of the accident and tried to get us both to use his body shop for repairs. I dismissed him as an opportunist, and he left the scene quickly without giving me or getting any information etc. Almost 6 weeks later (today), I get a phone call from him saying that he was in front of me during the accident (he never said this before!) and that he still needs to get the scratches on his rear bumper fixed. He said it would cost $700 if he does it in his shop (scam alert!), or I can file a claim with my insurance company. Apparently, the senior gentleman (somewhat senile) who rear-ended me gave him my phone number and possibly other information like my policy number and drivers license number. He made some vague threats about a suspended license or something…

At the scene of the accident, I thought the car in front of me drove off unscathed so I dismissed it quickly. It is possible that he was driving the car in front of me, and it's possible that I caused some scratches to its bumper. However, I am not certain of either of those things. I fear he's an opportunist who saw the accident and wants to make a buck.

What do I do? Does he have a leg to stand on here? Your advice is much appreciated!

Default Re: Claim for Accident Damage Made to a Rear-Ended Driver

Call your own insurance company ASAP and report that somebody is making a liability claim against you.

DO NOT talk to the guy and DO NOT try to handle this yourself.

Default Re: Claim for Accident Damage Made to a Rear-Ended Driver

Thanks for the quick reply! I informed my insurance company and they are going to contact him about making a claim. I appreciate the advice.

1. Sponsored Links