Default What to Do If You're Under Investigation for Check Fraud

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Delaware

I started getting these calls stating that I am being investigated for Check fraud and if I call their offices, they will talk to the judge to be lenient with me. I also was told that they are calling family and friends stating that they are investigators seeking my information for a criminal matter. Here is the thing, I did not commit check fraud. If I had a check that did not go through, I paid it off and to my knowledge, there are no checks out there that had mal intent.

I never wrote a check out with intentions of getting over on anyone!!
    I do have a checking account that overdrafted and was charged off when I was in an accident and could not work...could that be it??

Also, two investigators sent me a friend request on linkedin. I am nervous and do not know what to do!

Default Re: I Am Getting Calls Saying That I Am Being Investigated for Check Fraud

Quote Quoting Knowledge Seeker
    View Post
    I started getting these calls stating that I am being investigated for Check fraud and if I call their offices, they will talk to the judge to be lenient with me.
    Calls from whom? A bank? A law enforcement officer? Collection agency? If these are calls from legitimate law enforcement investigators, they should be providing their name, the agency they work for, and a callback number that you can check actually belongs to a phone at that agency.

View Post
    I also was told that they are calling family and friends stating that they are investigators seeking my information for a criminal matter.
    Again, told by whom? Did the “investigators” tell you this, or have “family and friends” reported to you that they have been contacted?

View Post
    Here is the thing, I did not commit check fraud. If I had a check that did not go through, I paid it off and to my knowledge, there are no checks out there that had mal intent.

I do have a checking account that overdrafted and was charged off when I was in an accident and could not work...could that be it??
    Well, if you wrote checks when there were insufficient funds in the account to cover them, you could be charged criminally. There is no need to show “malicious intent” or a desire to “get over” on anyone. You are supposed to deposit funds into the checking account (first!) and THEN write checks from those funds…not write checks for funds that you plan on depositing later. A checking account is not the same as a credit account.

View Post
    Also, two investigators sent me a friend request on linkedin. I am nervous and do not know what to do!
    Ok, this is sounding more and more like some kind of scam rather than a legitimate law enforcement investigation.

Default Re: I Am Getting Calls Saying That I Am Being Investigated for Check Fraud

View Post

I started getting these calls stating that I am being investigated for Check fraud and if I call their offices, they will talk to the judge to be lenient with me. I also was told that they are calling family and friends stating that they are investigators seeking my information for a criminal matter. Here is the thing, I did not commit check fraud. If I had a check that did not go through, I paid it off and to my knowledge, there are no checks out there that had mal intent.

Wait until they call again.

Ask who you're talking to, and get their direct line. Oh, you can also tell them beforehand that you may be recording the conversation.

View Post

I started getting these calls stating that I am being investigated for Check fraud
    I suggest you record the conversation next time you get a call.

Delaware is a one party consent state.

Delaware Code Title 11 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure CHAPTER 24. WIRETAPPING, ELECTRONIC SURVEILLANCE AND INTERCEPTION OF COMMUNICATIONS Subchapter I. Electronic Surveillance and Interception of Communications § 2402. Interception of communications generally; divulging contents of communications, violations of chapter.
    (c) Lawful acts. -- It is lawful:
    (4) For a person to intercept a wire, oral or electronic communication where the person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception, unless the communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of the constitutions or laws of the United States, this State or any other state or any political subdivision of the United States or this or any other state.

http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c024/sc01/index.shtml#2402

You can tell them at the onset that you ARE recording the conversation but if they hang up you won't have any useful information.

If you don't tell them, ask them for names, company or agency, phone numbers, case number (if law enforcement). Get as much information as you can but don't give any answers (right to remain silent). Then tell them you've recorded the conversation and you'll record any subsequent conversations.

Then come back to this thread with the results.

1. Sponsored Links