Default Can I Live Out My Deposits

When I first moved into the condo that I rent, I paid $3500.00 to move in.
    $1000.00, first months rent / $1000.00 last months rent / $1000.00 security deposit / $500.00 pet deposit & I also gave a $200.00 contribution for a stackable washer/dryer unit in this brand new condo conversion). I now have 3 months left in my lease.

I didnt know until I moved in that there was several problems with the apartment. Nothing that would make it unliveable: only 2 coils on the stove work, the bathroom light switch short circuits, only lukewarm water in the kitchen (which causes the dishwasher to not clean and sanitize thoroughly), the verticle blinds on the glass sliding door fall apart whenever I open them, etc. I do not want to be held responsible for the repairs when I move out.

Another thing, when the men came to install the washer/dryer unit, they could not fit it in the closet and it has been hanging 1/2 way out into the living room for the entire time I have lived here.

My landlord has said several times that he would come and repair things but he never has. I feel that he is going to try to charge me for all these things that need to be replaced before the next tenant. Since he holds $2500.00 of mine, would it possibly become a legal issue if I was to just pay the other $500.00 and live out the last 3 months without his written consent? By living out my deposits, and paying the $500.00 for January, he will not lose any money. I also would like to know if there is enough time for him to evict me before the 3 months is up?

There are no damages to the apartment besides what was there prior to my move in. The carpets were not new when I moved in so I just plan on cleaning them before I go.

Default Re: Can I live out my deposits in Florida?

If you don't pay your rent, you can be evicted for nonpayment of rent. You don't get credit for your deposits against rent owed while you continue to occupy the unit.

What can I do to prevent the landlord from taking money from my deposits for the problems from the apartment/condo that have not been taken care?? Would it be worth him to go after me legally if I do live out my deposits??

What's your opinion??

If your landlord makes inappropriate deductions from your deposits, you can decide for yourself based upon the amount of money involved whether it would be worth it for you to take him to court to try to get your money back.

Actually, I meant would it be worth the landlord to take me to court over it??

You would have to ask your landlord.

lol, alright... Thanks... I'll post again if I have any more questions...

1. Sponsored Links