Question Creditor Agreed to Take a Debt Back from the Collector, But Changed its Mind

Washington State,
    My wife had 3 medical bills from a visit to the Dr. She applied for financial aid. When she got the denial letter 3 months later, she called the original debtors to setup a payment plan for $5k. One of the debtors stated that they had sent her bill to collections just 2 days prior. The operator allowed her to make a $125 payment on an $825 bill and said she will call her back about pulling the collections back. The manager called back and stated that they will not take the debt back, however they kept the payment made. Doesn't this constitute making a payment to them and now this allows us to pay them instead of the debtor thus they need to pull it back now?
    Can they say then, whoops! we are returning the payment, our mistake? any time frame til they can't do that? Trying to figure out how to get it pulled from collections. We told the original debtor that we would pay off the remaining $700 in 3 monthly payments.

Thank you

Default Re: Sent to Collector, Orig Debtor Accepted Payment, Refused to Pull Debt from Collec

Creditors. They're the creditors, your wife (and unfortunately in this state, you) is the debtor.

So your wife set up a payment plan with the hospital/provider. WHO did she make that plan with, given that you seem to be including several creditors?

Default Re: Sent to Collector, Orig Debtor Accepted Payment, Refused to Pull Debt from Collec

SHe hadn't yet setup a payment plan. She was calling to do so after the financial aid was complete. SHe called the 3 creditors to let them know, they said ok. But one of them sent to collections after the 90 day mark which is just a few days prior to her finally getting a determination of denial. This is the only creditor who sent to collections and stated that they won't pull it back out of collections, yet, took a payment from her on the same phone call. I thought once a creditor sent a debt to collections, they can't take a payment. Seems to me that this was an action that may have them taking the debt back.

Quote Quoting roderunner
    View Post
    I thought once a creditor sent a debt to collections, they can't take a payment. Seems to me that this was an action that may have them taking the debt back.
    No.

Both your assumptions are wrong.

The provider can take a payment.
    The provider did not take the debt back and is under no obligation to do so.

1. Sponsored Links