Default Slip & Fall

I would like to know about my rights in Colorado regarding "pain & suffering"
    I fell at work and tore my left shoulder rotator cuff.
    The medical bills are being taken care of by Workman's comp. but I have been reading about this particular injury and am discovering the recovery time of the healing process is possibly a lifetime.
    I may never have the same range of motion in my shoulder as I did before the fall.
    I understand that "negligence" must be proven in order to file a suit when workman's comp is picking up the bill for the medical costs.
    The case seems pretty solid.
    I have evidence of an e mail sent to the safety director about a month prior to the fall.
    It noted the exact area of concern as a safety hazard and the potential for a serious accident.
    Nothing was done. Can I receive any kind of compensation for the "pain & suffering"
    Thanks for the replies.

Default Re: Slip & Fall

As a general rule, worker's compensation is supposed to be the exclusive remedy for a workplace injury, meaning that you cannot also bring a suit for "pain and suffering" against your employer. There are unusual circumtances, such as where an employer intends the injury, that it may be possible to bring a suit against the employer. It may sometimes be possible to bring a lawsuit against a third party - somebody other than the employer or a co-worker whose negligence caused or contributed to the injury.

Thanks for the info.
    What about State Disability?
    Does that come into play anywhere in this kind of scenario?
    What if this does become a permanent type of injury
    limiting me to a life of limitations that would not have been if no fall had ocurred?
    Thanks..

WC usually pays out a lump sum for a permanent disability. Your state's WC board can give you the info.

1. Sponsored Links