Exclamation Spouse Fled the Country

I am in a bit of a bind. I have been married for less than a year and am trying to divorce my partner, but he has fled to his country. I have no way of communicating with him or his family. He left about a month ago and I do not know if he is ever going to come back. We have a daughter together. Any and all advice is appreciated. BTW I live in New Jersey.

Default Re: Spouse Fled the Country

Quote Quoting starting_over
    View Post
    I am in a bit of a bind. I have been married for less than a year and am trying to divorce my partner, but he has fled to his country. I have no way of communicating with him or his family. He left about a month ago and I do not know if he is ever going to come back. We have a daughter together. Any and all advice is appreciated. BTW I live in New Jersey.
    If the filing spouse has made a 'good faith effort' to locate the missing spouse, and can swear under oath and penalty of perjury that they do not know the current whereabouts of the respondent and have made an effort to locate them, the missing respondent can be 'served' by publication of a notice in a local newspaper.
    Information above from:
    http://www.divorcehelp.net/NewJersey.htm

Also see "Serving the Defendant" at this link.

Default Re: Spouse Fled the Country

You can get a divorce and custody order even if he's not in the country. You may need to use an international process service, or (as described above) get court permission for substituted service if he cannot be located.

1. Sponsored Links