Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can a Student Be Accused of Cheating if Not Caught Cheating During an Exam

My question involves education law in the State of: Florida

An incident occurred during the final exam (ACS) for the organic course in which several students including myself were accused of cheating on the day of examination. I was barred from taking the exam and removed from the class surprisingly by two police officers. I was not cheating; I was not caught cheating by the proctors. I did not have any form of technology in my possession. I was not putting any one’s life in jeopardy, I wasn’t in any kind of disruptive behavior, and most definitely not armed with any weapons, although the way they pulled me out was as if I was some sort of terrorist threat. I was minding my own business taking my exam . I was interrogated and questioned by at least 5 police officers about a smart watch that did not belong to me. I answered all of their questions honestly. I was accused of sending answers on a group chat that I was added to for the class. In general, that’s where other students were added as well to keep each other posted with any activities such as studying for the exams, quizzes, tutoring. Study sessions, extra credit, and announcements. I assured the police officers that I had no form of technology on me at all to receive or send any information as such during the exam. I asked the police officer to walk in the auditorium with me to witness that I was getting my phone out of my bag which was located all the way at the back of the room while my testing area was in the front seats. I did not have a smart watch on me either.

Their accusation stemmed from seeing my name engaged in a conversation (THAT OCCURRED BEFORE I WALKED INTO AND PAST THE AUDOTORIUM DOORS FOR THE EXAM as the time stamp should prove) indirectly mocking one of the group members of the fact that he was accused of cheating on a third quiz in class with his phone I was being very sarcastic with how someone could possibly pull out their phone in general during this exam as well. I was virtually making the same comments all of the other students were saying all around me as we all realized how serious the exam was being proctored. Also the exam location changed last minute, so as instructed to let our peers know I did. I informed the people on the group that test location has changed. Some people did not know where the location was so I sent pictures of the building. The last word I posted on that group was “so…” indirectly saying/meaning that this exam is going to be really hard. so BEFORE the exam started i was making comments about versions studied for the ACS and mocking student of cheating. As a person and student I feel violated against Now with that said I know for a fact I am being discriminated against due to my nationality as well, especially after hearing students and professors making hateful comments and accusations towards others due to their nationality. The fact that I could not and was not allowed to speak directly to my class instructor is totally wrong!. they were being very violent and aggressive towards me and most definitely wrongfully intimidating me and others. they did not allow me to finish my exam. His actions were completely unethical and demeaning towards me.

My questions are, can the school accuse me of cheating based off a group chat that my name is on that happened BEFORE the exam was administrated?. also was it illegal for the campus police to disrupt a standardized (ACS) exam taking place by marching in and pulling a student out for "academic dishonesty" to interrogate without a warrant or anything?. they also demanded to see and check my phone to read the group chat and they did, was that illegal for them to search my phone knowing i didn't have it on me during the exam?

Thanks !

Default Re: Can a Student Be Accused of Cheating if Not Caught Cheating During an Exam

Quote Quoting nessma elshazly
    View Post
    My question involves education law in the State of:
    This question ^^^^^^, which you failed to answer, is asked for a reason. Laws vary by state and country. Was this a public or private institution?

View Post
    also was it illegal for the campus police to disrupt a standardized (ACS) exam taking place by marching in and pulling a student out for "academic dishonesty" to interrogate without a warrant or anything?.
    Perfectly legal. It might have been handled in a more low key manner but that is water under the bridge.

View Post
    they also demanded to see and check my phone to read the group chat and they did, was that illegal for them to search my phone knowing i didn't have it on me during the exam?
    If you handed them the phone after they asked to see it and allowed them to look at it, perfectly legal. Even if it weren't, it wouldn't really help you here.

What was the outcome of the investigation?

Default Re: Can a Student Be Accused of Cheating if Not Caught Cheating During an Exam

it happened at the university iam attending.

- - - Updated - - -

i wont know the outcome till next week. iam writting a letter to the dean to explain the situation. it is all in the hands of the dean. should i submit my letter in before the hearing or after?

- - - Updated - - -

I apologize. The state this happened in is Florida.

Again, we can not help you if you don't tell us WHERE you are.

Tallahassee, Florida 32304

Can't tell if you are just upset or if you are trying to be confusing. If I follow you, you were taking your Organic Chem exam, and during it you were removed from the room and accused of being part of a group involved in some sort of cheating. It is not clear whether you were a member of this "cheating" group. Universities usually have some sort of quasi-judicial student/faculty board that deals with this stuff. Where are you in this process? I'd advise you to insist that the university prove that you were cheating. Do not admit to anything. It may be wise to speak with a lawyer.
    You claim that you were treated "violently". How was this? Why do you believe that your nationality was involved?

Yes iam a member of the class group and the cheating happened on a that group chat where i was engaged in a convo BEFORE the exam was administrated and i secured and put away my phone in my bag that was not around me during the exam. They just flat out gave me a zero before investigating the situation. Iam suppose to go speak with the dean on monday about my case. So i shouldnt admit that i did conversate on the group although my name appeared?. When the cops pulled me out of the exam they were interrogating me instead of my professor. I was not being harmful or in disruptive behavior for the cops to have handeled this over my professor. The reason the police were involved was because the person that got caught with a smart watch was on the group chat with my name appearing on his watch. He wouldnt leave without his watch, they wouldnt give it to him. So they called the police on him. Now when they searched his watch they saw my name then pulled me out, and based on that i was accused of cheating.

I believe that my nationality was involved because students were making comments all semester like "those egyptian kids are always cheating", "you have to always watch them", "they finally got what they deserve." I know for a fact professors started talking amongst themselves and making the same comments. Now this has occurred and with no evidence against me or some others from the group. I strongly believe that injust acts were done during this whole ordeal. Discrimination?

So i shouldnt admit that i did conversate on the group although my name appeared?.
    did your name appear within the conversation that was clearly during the exam?

When the cops pulled me out of the exam they were interrogating me instead of my professor.
    why would they interrogate your professor?

The reason the police were involved was because the person that got caught with a smart watch was on the group chat with my name appearing on his watch.
    again, did your name appear in the conversation during the time of the test or only before the test?

I believe that my nationality was involved because student and professor started making abusing comments like "those egyptian kids are fishy" and for a fact professors started talking amoung themselves and making the same comment with no evidence against the group of people. I know for a fact we were targeted on purpose.
    so the professor also left the room the test was being given and was within earshot of you while the police were being rough with you and interrogating you where it would be highly unlikely you would have the presence of mind to pay attention to a converstation you were not involved in?

Who remained as the proctor?

I did not engage in the conversation during the exam... I was part of the conversation making comments about the final before the final started. The watch saved my name as a notification that took place before the exam started. They didnt interrogate my professor they were interrogatin me. I feel like the professor should have handeled this not the cops in my case. No my name did not appear commenting in the chat during the exam. Their trying to frame me for a conversation i had before the exam started as cheating. Yes. Their were 8 proctors ( who would cheat anyway with 8 proctors in a room?)

View Post
    Their trying to frame me for a conversation i had before the exam started as cheating. Yes. Their were 8 proctors ( who would cheat anyway with 8 proctors in a room?)
    apparently the guy with the watch would

so, you go through the process and defend yourself. If your name on his watch is the only evidence against you, the time stamp along with that on your phone should exonerate you.

and really, I suggest you get off the discrimination based on being Egyptian thing. They had a reasonable basis to suspect you of cheating although I do believe they acted without due investigation. It had nothing to do with your ethnicity.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast