Default Can a Property Owner Grant Easement Access to Additional Parties

My question involves an easement in the state of:California

Does a land owner reserve the right to grant additional non exclusive easement access, or is consent required by all parties?

I am one of three landowners that have a non exclusive easement for ingress and egress to access my home, zoned for agricultural use in Santa Barbara County, CA. Does the servient land owner reserve the exclusive right to grant an additional easement or does he require the approval of all parties involved in the original easement?

Default Re: Easements: Additional Parties

As long as the servient tenant has not granted an exclusive easement to some party he can grant easement rights all day long on any part of his property to as many people he wants. As a dominant tenant the only rights you have are those specifically granted to you and that is not a right to control who uses the easement.

If the grant is not exclusive the owner of the servient estate could potentially grant access to additional parties, but would not be permitted to overburden the easement through those additional grants.

How could the servient tenant overburden his own property? Is it not grantor of the easement whom determines what is allowed regarding the easement?

As long as the new easement rights to not inhibit the existing easement rights I cannot see how the servient tenAnt could overburden the easement.

1. Sponsored Links