Angry Can the Cosigner Assume Responsibility for a Vehicle

My question involves an auto loan or repossession in the State of: Michigan/Illinois

My significant other and I are looking into buying a house and are having a very hard time. He had cosigned for an ex (shaking my head) and she has been making nothing but late, partial, or no payments and it is ruining his chances for moving forward in life. My question is if he has any legal standing as far as taking the vehicle from her (she lives in Michigan and we live in Illinois) and assuming payments from our home in Illinois? She is very spiteful and we have begged her to refinance and she refuses- at this point I believe the late and no payments are on purpose . Is there anything we can do legally??? Help!

Default Re: Can the Cosigner Assume Responsibility for a Vehicle

Quote Quoting hfarmer91
    View Post
    My question involves an auto loan or repossession in the State of: Michigan/Illinois

My significant other and I are looking into buying a house and are having a very hard time. He had cosigned for an ex (shaking my head)
    You're shaking YOUR head, but you are about to do the same thing with a guy you're not married to, but with a house?

Quote Quoting hfarmer91
    View Post
    she has been making nothing but late, partial, or no payments and it is ruining his chances for moving forward in life. My question is if he has any legal standing as far as taking the vehicle from her (she lives in Michigan and we live in Illinois) and assuming payments from our home in Illinois?
    If he and she are on the title as joint owners he has just as much right to possess the vehicle as she does.

If he's not on the title and just guaranteed the loan then he has no right to the vehicle. All he can do is sue her for indemnification if he makes any payments.

The condition of his credit rating is nobody's fault but his own. Any time somebody needs a co-signer for a loan that should be a red flag not to co-sign because, invariably, the co-signer turns out not to be smarter than the bank and ends up holding the bag.

Quote Quoting hfarmer91
    View Post
    She is very spiteful.
    As you would be if he broke up with you and you got into a dispute about the house that you would both own when one wants to sell and the other doesn't and one is paying and the other isn't and one can't get financing for anything else because of the obligation on the house that one is getting nothing for in return. Get the picture?

Quote Quoting hfarmer91
    View Post
    Is there anything we can do legally???
    No. He's stuck with the consequences of a bad decision.

Thank you for replying to my message however I feel that there were less rude ways to answer my questions. As far as your concern for him buying a house my name will not be on it. I am just a concerned girlfriend attempting to help him find some answers- because although he lives with me temporarily he is buying the house not me...get the picture? If you'd note in my original post I stated it was hurting his chances of moving forward not ours. Furthermore the state of my relationship is not a concern here I merely was seeking possible options. Thank you for taking the time to respond

Quote Quoting hfarmer91
    View Post
    My significant other and I are looking into buying a house and are having a very hard time.
    Quote Quoting hfarmer91
    View Post
    Thank you for replying to my message however I feel that there were less rude ways to answer my questions. As far as your concern for him buying a house my name will not be on it. I am just a concerned girlfriend attempting to help him find some answers- because although he lives with me temporarily he is buying the house not me...get the picture? If you'd note in my original post I stated it was hurting his chances of moving forward not ours. Furthermore the state of my relationship is not a concern here I merely was seeking possible options. Thank you for taking the time to respond
    The way you wrote it sounds like you are both buying the house, not just him, get the picture?

1. Sponsored Links