Default Police Didn't Inform Me to Report Fix-It Correction to the Court

My question involves vehicle maintenance laws for the State of: Michigan. I received a fix it ticket for my tail lights and it was correctable. I fixed the issue and had an officer sign the ticket. She didn't inform me that I had to take the ticket to the court office for proof. I received a phone call yesterday saying I owed $144 for the ticket even though I did the whole process that was known to me. I was never informed that I needed to give the ticket to the court. Am I at fault and have to pay the ticket?

Default Re: Police Didn't Inform Me

What did the instructions on the ticket say regarding the certifying agency? Did you speak to someone in the Court House, informing them that you had corrected the tail light and had the officer sign off on the ticket? What did they tell you? Even though the officer signed off on the fix, unless he also went into the computer system and updated your case, the Court would have no way of knowing that you fixed the issue and had the officer sign off on it (unless you made them aware). Try contacting the Court and explaining the situation and see what they say.

Default Re: Police Didn't Inform Me to Report Fix-It Correction to the Court

Quote Quoting SR91
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle maintenance laws for the State of: Michigan. I received a fix it ticket for my tail lights and it was correctable. I fixed the issue and had an officer sign the ticket. She didn't inform me that I had to take the ticket to the court office for proof. I received a phone call yesterday saying I owed $144 for the ticket even though I did the whole process that was known to me. I was never informed that I needed to give the ticket to the court. Am I at fault and have to pay the ticket?
    The officer has no obligation to give you instructions when the instructions are on the citation or on the court website where anybody can find them.

I agree with PADriver13 with one modification. Go personally to the court with your paperwork to see if you can get it resolved. Don't rely on phone calls.

1. Sponsored Links