Default Shoplifting While on a Work Visa

My question involves criminal law for the state of: NJ

Hi,

I was caught shoplifting last year for $44. I went to the court and the judge reduced the charges to a township ordinance which is a non criminal violation. I paid the fine and did not get into trouble after that. I also don't have any other prior violations. I am currently on a H1B visa which is expiring next year. I am travelling to my home country next month.

1) Will there be any issues at the port of entry in newark when I return back. I have all the court documents and the disposition letters. Is there anything else I might need.
    2) Will there be any trouble when I apply for a H1B renewal next year and H1B stamping. Could anyone share their experience here please.

I have learnt my lessons. Please don't be sarcastic in your reply.

Thanks.

Default Re: Shoplifting While on a Work Visa

What, exactly, what the noncriminal ordinance violation that you were hit with? While it’s unlikely that this would be a problem for you (whereas a criminal conviction for shoplifting would very likely have been a problem as that is a crime of moral turpitude and thus a basis for deportation) the details always matter.

Generally speaking, a single petty theft is not going to cause you much grief. You should discuss your situation with an experienced immigration attorney, however, as the devil is in the details.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

My disposition says "Convicted for township ordinance (disorderly persons)". Would this be an issue when applying for a renewal of H1B and during port of entry ?

- - - Updated - - -

My attorney says I should not be in any trouble. I have also consulted few other attorneys for a second opinion. Most of them have said it should not be a problem but really scared me.

1. Sponsored Links