Post Threatened With Jail Over Support Arrears if I Don't Relinquish Parental Rights

My question involves child support in the State of: Texas , Mediator informed me that if I didn't sign voluntary relinquishment of parental rights I would go to jail and lose my rights anyway. My support (amount in arrears) is still growing, and I can still end up in jail. It has destroyed my ability to obtain credit and my ability to earn an income above minimum wage. There was a step parent adoption, and my name was removed from my children's birth certificates. According to the courts I never had children. However AG's office just claimed a $1000.00 check to me. Will I owe the child support even though I was never their Father?

Default Re: Mediator Told Me if I Didn't Relinquish Parental Rights I Would Be Arrested

You still owe any arrears.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Default Re: Mediator Told Me if I Didn't Relinquish Parental Rights I Would Be Arrested

Who was their father if the stepparent had to adopt? How old were the children when the adoption was done? You were their father IF your name was on their birth certificates. Apparently you owe arrearages. Those don't disappear. And interest will continue to accrue. The fact that you have poor credit is on you. According to the courts YOU WERE their father. Now you are not. But, you were!

Default Re: Threatened With Jail Over Support Arrears if I Don't Relinquish Parental Rights

Quote Quoting carajoe!
    View Post
    Mediator informed me that if I didn't sign voluntary relinquishment of parental rights I would go to jail and lose my rights anyway.
    Who is the mediator, and what are they mediating?

If in fact a stepparent adoption has already been concluded, your parental rights have already been terminated. What's actually going on?
    Quote Quoting carajoe!
    According to the courts I never had children.
    If by that you mean that the adoption ends your parental rights, and substitutes the adoptive father as the legal parent on the child's birth certificate, that's true. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the child support you owed up to that date.
    Quote Quoting carajoe!
    Will I owe the child support even though I was never their Father?
    Clearly you were the father. You have not given us the relevant background facts, but odds are that you became the children's father by virtue of (a) marriage to their mother, (b) executing and filing an acknowledgment of paternity, or (c) being sued for paternity and then either choosing not to appear and defend, such that you became the legal father by default, or by choosing to consent to the petition without requesting a paternity test.

What are the actual facts?

1. Sponsored Links