Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can Schools Require Students to Park On Campus

My question involves civil rights in the State of: California

I don't intend to do anything, however I wonder if what my school is doing is legal. They have a parking lot, in which they charge $799 per year in order to reserve a parking space. Nevertheless, free public parking is available in walking distances around the school. The school is threatening to send campus security to the surrounding streets to look for cars parked there by students, and is claiming that students who are found using the public parking will have infractions levied upon their school record. Is it legal for a school to restrict my right to use public parking so that I must purchase their spaces if I want to bring a car? Many thanks.

Default Re: Can Schools Ban Public Parking

Yes they can.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Yes they can.

Curious, please explain.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Yes they can.
    I don't think the answer is that simple.

Is it a university or a high school? Is it private or public?

Is there a contract that governs the issue? Are there city ordinances involved?

A school does not automatically have the right to control behavior outside of school grounds...despite the fact that many try to do so.

Quote Quoting BouvierDog
    View Post
    My question involves civil rights in the State of: California
    Is it legal for a school to restrict my right to use public parking so that I must purchase their spaces if I want to bring a car? Many thanks.
    That depends on additional information we donít have. Letís start with this: is this school a high school, college, or something else? And is it a public (i.e. government owned) school or a private school?

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Curious, please explain.
    I second that! How can a public institution force you to pay for a "parking space", then impose some sorta sanction(s) if attendees utilize alternatives?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

I don't know how any of those distinctions makes a whit of difference. A school, public or private, secondary or higher education can very much dictate such things. High school is not a democracy.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    I don't know how any of those distinctions makes a whit of difference. A school, public or private, secondary or higher education can very much dictate such things. High school is not a democracy.
    It makes a difference because what the school can do depends very much on its relationship to the students. A public high school stands in a very different position with respect to its students than does a private college/universiity, for example. A high school may not be a democracy, but a public high school still cannot infringe on the civil rights of its students and what it can do is governed by the applicable federal and state laws and regulations. Simply saying that every school would have the right to do this is not accurate. Some might be able to do it, but details matter.

A public high school can set rules necessary to support a safe and productive education environment. In that regard, it can require students to conform to any rule regarding students using their own cars as transportation to the school. And students have many areas in which their civil rights are reduced. 4th amendment rights on searches and seizures are an example. If the school can articulate a legitimate interest in having students park their cars on campus in the interest of achieving legitimate educational goals then it can regulate student behavior in this way. Having kids park just anywhere they like may increase safety concerns, attendance concerns, etc.

Telling the students what they can do with their vehicles that they drive to school in is not an infringement of their civil rights.
    They have just as much authority to apply internal sanctions to those who violate their rules as a private school.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast