Default How to Obtain Transcripts from a Criminal Court Hearing

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Az
    How do I get the transcripts for a court hearing?
    Can they be obtained for free ? Or must they be paid for?
    Can anyone get them, or does it have to be the client?
    Thank you,

Default Re: How to Obtain Transcripts from a Criminal Court Hearing

You contact the court reporter's office, identifying the hearing you want transcribed.

An indigent defendant may be able to obtain a free copy for the purposes of appeal or retrial.

If you want the court reporter to provide a transcript from somebody else's case, you will need to pay the required fees. If you're lucky, somebody else will have already ordered the transcript and you'll only have to pay the copying fee.

Thank you very much for this information Mr. Knowitall!
    I did leave voicemail for court reporter, but no one called back. So I've repeated this today, as it's important to get this asap.
    How long does a person have to appeal once sentencing is imposed?
    The defendant is indigent, and in jail right now, awaiting transport to a prison.
    Am I able to request this transcript for the inmate? As I will have power of attorney for the inmate as of today, ( I don't know if that really matters ?)
    I know this is probably a dumb question, but, it's one that I don't know the answer to. This transcript is extremely important, and may be the whole focus of filing for an appeal. A judge can't have any part of a hearing removed from the transcript, can she/he?
    I have a little trouble figuring out which forum / subject to post my questions under, and don't wish to clutter the forums with scattered questions, so I hope that I'm posting these in the right place. & not sure if my questions should stay under the same post. So please, if I'm not doing this right, advise me.
    thank you.

The best thing you can do for your friend is hire an attorney to handle any appeals. This is not a DIY project.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Read this.

If the defendant is not indigent, the defendant should hire a lawyer to represent him on appeal. The lawyer will order the transcripts.

If the defendant is indigent, the defendant should petition for a court-appointed lawyer. The lawyer will order the transcripts, with the state picking up the cost based on the defendant's indigency.

Defendent/inmate, doesn't have the funds to pay for the transcript at this point and is indigent. I say He/We, because the inmate is a family member. He has mental illness, & a neurological disorder. He has no idea how to handle any of this. I am his advocate, along with NAMI and a few other groups wanting to help. I used to have legal guardianship. Do not anymore. Not sure if that is the way to go, so per your knowledgeable answers Mr. Knowitall, in a previous post, I decided that I should just get Power of Attorney for now, until I can decide further to get mental health care power. Or if I have to, then get legal guardianship. <-- that is a difficult one for myself to deal with, but I will do what I must.
    As for attorney. aka Public Defender. She has failed to do anything in this case. Each time the defendent turned to her for help, she refused to help. She confirmed to the defendent, the night before sentencing, that the prison time was ___yrs, then in sentencing, the judge stated the same, but the prosecutor spoke up, and said different. So the years were changed to reflect what the prosecutor said. The judge stated she didn't get it right, (not her exact words) Then the public defender said she made a mistake! The defendent had to take this "change", out of fear.
    The attorneys appointed to the defendent, plus one that was hired, all failed horribly. Some were reprimanded, yet the defendant was the one that paid the price, because the judge and prosecutor were angry due to the fact that this case went on too long.
    I cannot afford an attorney myself. So I am doing what I can on my own. Once we read the transcript, then we will know if we need to figure out how to get an attorney. One was paid a very large amount, over a grand, just to review the case. Another had to be fired, due to the fact he was suspended for a time while he was on the case and also on probation by the Bar assoc, AND lied to the judge! He was suspended again after we fired him. This took all the funds we had.
    I have NEVER had to deal with incompetent attorneys like this. Now I am trying to do all of this on my own. This forum is my only hope for answers. I am trying very hard, not to ask too many questions, or write too much. I am researching as much as I can on my own, so as not to bother all of you if possible. I don't even pretend to be an attorney, but I have no choice than to help.
    On many cases, the public defender, or the attorney that was suspended, didn't have the documents she was supposed to, and I had to speak up and tell them I had it, so they would take if from me, review it, then provide it to the court / judge / prosecutor, when we were in hearing.

- - - Updated - - -

Court reporter called, stated transcripts would be $70 on up. I stated inmate is indigent & incarcerated. She stated that his attorney ( public defender ) was given them.
    Question Is this Public Defender supposed to give those to the inmate? Because inmate does not have them.
    Queston 2. HOW does inmate get them from attorney, or can we obtain them from the courthouse on our own.
    Thank you.

1. Sponsored Links