Default Receiving Financial Gifts or Income While Receiving SSI

I get SSI and Social Security has recently asked to see my bank statements since July last year. I dont have regular employment but did some work on the side for someone and earned in total 1, 600. I also get regular help from my family anywhere from $100-200 per month (but not all months).

Will Social Security punish me for these income(s)

Default Re: Receiving Financial Gifts or Income While Receiving SSI

When you receive SSI you are suppose to report all income to them. The income you received from work and from your family will affect your SSI. You were overpaid in SSI the months you has income that is over $20 and you will have to repay that. SSA will deduct a certain amount from your monthly SSI benefits. If you receive food stamps if they don't know about this income, they will and you will have to repay them for the overpayment in food stamps.

Quote Quoting vrt
    View Post
    I get SSI and Social Security has recently asked to see my bank statements since July last year. I dont have regular employment but did some work on the side for someone and earned in total 1, 600. I also get regular help from my family anywhere from $100-200 per month (but not all months).

Will Social Security punish me for these income(s)
    Did you actually put that money in your bank account?

When you sign up for a needs based program, such as SSI, you agree to allow them access to all sorts of records. They don't even need you to bring those records to them, they can look at most of them without you being anywhere around. I'd take my records in as requested, and let them see what's there. If there's income that should have been counted, they'll catch it. If the $1600 was paid in cash, off the books everywhere, and you just spent it, they might not see it, but if it was put into your checking account in a lump sum, or in regular amounts, they'll question that. Not a good idea to lie. They don't care whether you have a colorful story, or do cooperate or not, they'll still make you pay the penalties for fraud overpayment if they determine it exists.

It all counts as income. SSI is the supplement, not the other way around. All income is to be reported the month after it is received, and SSA will ask you about it from time to time, after you have agreed to be honest and truthful since it is a federal crime to lie to get SSI benefits.

So you can call it a punishment, but in reality, it is following the law.

1. Sponsored Links