Default Restraining Order After Threats by Text Message

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Mass.

My 17 yr old son was given a RO from his GF. My son was making threats to her by text since they broke up. (we are dealing with all of this now, we took away his phone, computer and any electronics). A police officer came to our door and gave him the RO but there was no affidavit.

Even though we know the reason why it is given, we have nothing in writing.

So he cannot go to school or anything until we go to court. The school received an affidavit, but we haven't.

This is all new to me and not sure what to do. We are trying to find a lawyer.

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Default Re: Restraining Order

Quote Quoting sloane
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Mass.

My 17 yr old son was given a RO from his GF. My son was making threats to her by text since they broke up. (we are dealing with all of this now, we took away his phone, computer and any electronics). A police officer came to our door and gave him the RO but there was no affidavit.

So he cannot go to school or anything until we go to court. The school received an affidavit, but we haven't.

This is all new to me and not sure what to do. We are trying to find a lawyer.

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.
    It would be helpful to enroll your son in an anger management course, and perhaps some counseling to help him learn why he felt the need to lash out at her when they broke up. Those things would help show the judge that he is working on his issues...and would be of great value to him.

Quote Quoting sloane
    View Post
    A police officer came to our door and gave him the RO but there was no affidavit.

The RO has a case number on it.

Go to the court house and look through the case file. Get copies of the affidavit and whatever else is in there.

Quote Quoting sloane
    View Post
    We are trying to find a lawyer.
    Trying?

What's so hard about finding a lawyer?

You call up, make an appointment, go in, hand over a check, and get him/her started.

@llworking He is going back to his therapist.

@adjusterjack Thanks for the info.
    "Trying?
    What's so hard about finding a lawyer?
    You call up, make an appointment, go in, hand over a check, and get him/her started. "

I dont think picking any 'ol lawyer is a good idea, I am investigating which lawyers deal with with this type of stuff and lawyers that are affliated with court the RO came from.

I might not know everything, but I do understand how the legal system can work. Ive seen lawyers get crushed by DA's because they are not 'known' in that district court.

1. Sponsored Links