Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can a Neighbor Install Cameras That Overlook Your Yard

My question involves real estate located in the State of: New York

Hey all - last year I re-did my driveway (expanded it). Looks great - however, my neighbor didn't like that it comes closer to his property (it is NOT on his property - just closer to it) - and hasn't spoken to me since - even though I have genuinely tried to see what the issue was (in a polite and nice way).

He called the city on me for the driveway (which got him nowhere since I ended up getting the appropriate permit). Then he called about my pool closing (saying water got on his lawn) - again got nowhere since I had a company do the closing. Then he called for some metal that I stored next to my garage - again nowhere since metal alone is not an environmental hazard.

He then installed CAMERAS on the side of his house which point at my driveway (where I walk with my kids and put them in and out of my car) and my backyard.

This guy's bedroom window faces my backyard - and the other day he stood in his window and stared at my wife and kids while they were in the backyard playing for over 30 MINUTES. Just standing there. My wife got me, and I took a picture.

This guy is a nutcase. A crabby old man - who is obviously furious that he didn't get his way with the driveway - and now is on a mission to find something to complain about.

The harassment and abuse of the town's code officer with all of his calling is one thing, but filming my family and children is OUTRAGEOUS - and I am tired of this!

I got nowhere with the code guys in Clay, NY (Onondaga County) since they say they have no code for outdoor filming.

So now I feel helpless, and I hope that someone here can give me some advice!

If anyone knows of ANY law he may be violating - I would love to know.

I know there is always civil court - where I can sue him for harassment, but I would almost certainly lose that since the old man can simply say he had 'legitimate concerns' - unless the cameras give me an angle that I can't see?

Default Re: Neighbor Put Up Outdoor Cameras to Film Me - Filming My Children

Unfortunately, your driveway is not someplace that there's a particular expectation of privacy. He's free to watch it (camera or otherwise) from his property. Similarly, looking out his own windows into your yard is not something you're going to be able to do anything about.

Also, I don't see how you could possibly make a case for "harassment" in a civil court because he stands in HIS window looking out.

Sorry, but you may just have to learn to live with the crabby old man. Maybe smile and wave politely at him when you see him? If you react in a way that he doesn't expect, perhaps he'll get tired of staring.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Why don't you help the guy out so he gets good video and can see what is happening. Put up a really large wattage flood light and aim it over in his direction. Just don't put it on a timer that comes on at dusk and off at dawn.

Put up a really large wattage flood light and aim it over in his direction. Just don't put it on a timer that comes on at dusk and off at dawn.
    That is likely illegal (it is by local code in much of NY).

Is that really true? I have read many performance standards in my time and I don't ever remembering that there is a maximum wattage that can be used. Most of these standards refer to commercial property and are about minimum illumination not maximum.

I suppose that a nuisance could be claimed but I am not aware of anything that prohibits it by code. Could you refer to some authority so I could educate myself?

It's usually a local ordinance. For example in Brookhaven NY:
    85-467. Illumination levels and prohibited effects for residential and nonresidential exterior
    lighting.
    A. All residential and nonresidential exterior lighting shall not cause light trespass and shall protect
    adjacent properties from glare and excessive lighting.

A. Permissible luminaire location and effects.
    (1) No luminaire shall be located or concentrated so as to produce glare or direct illumination across
    the boundary property line, nor shall any such light be of such intensity as to create a nuisance
    or detract from the use and enjoyment of adjacent property. See Table 1 and Table 2 for
    setback, height, and maximum light output recommendations for guidance

There are also all sorts of other stipulations.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Put up a really large wattage flood light and aim it over in his direction. Just don't put it on a timer that comes on at dusk and off at dawn.
    You wanna wind up on an episode of Fear Thy Neighbor on Investigation Discovery by escalating a neighborhood dispute? Cause that's how you wind up on an episode of Fear Thy Neighbor on Investigation Discovery by escalating a neighborhood dispute.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    It's usually a local ordinance. For example in Brookhaven NY:
    85-467. Illumination levels and prohibited effects for residential and nonresidential exterior
    lighting.
    A. All residential and nonresidential exterior lighting shall not cause light trespass and shall protect
    adjacent properties from glare and excessive lighting.

A. Permissible luminaire location and effects.
    (1) No luminaire shall be located or concentrated so as to produce glare or direct illumination across
    the boundary property line, nor shall any such light be of such intensity as to create a nuisance
    or detract from the use and enjoyment of adjacent property. See Table 1 and Table 2 for
    setback, height, and maximum light output recommendations for guidance

There are also all sorts of other stipulations.
    Could you provide me with a link. I can't seem to find that in a search. I want to read the definitions and see the tables. What you quoted is pretty much subjective without the rest. And NYC is not the norm in NY state. Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast