Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Teacher's Loss of Position Within a School

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California

I am a teacher in LAUSD. In recent years, I moved to a teacher coaching position funded by the district. A new principal was hired this year and he basically had me fired with no cause whatsoever. I have rights as a teacher in the district but am being pushed out of the school. There was no negative feedback at all. The district basically asked the principal if he wanted me back. He said no so they essentially stripped me of the position. That is the process.

Is this just a case of a super bad employer that can do whatever they want to me?

I am extremely upset at this point. There is more to the story with regard to his motives but for now, I will keep it simple.

Default Re: Teacher Fired (Sort Of)

Quote Quoting andresrr
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California

I am a teacher in LAUSD. In recent years, I moved to a teacher coaching position funded by the district. A new principal was hired this year and he basically had me fired with no cause whatsoever. I have rights as a teacher in the district but am being pushed out of the school. There was no negative feedback at all. The district basically asked the principal if he wanted me back. He said no so they essentially stripped me of the position. That is the process.

Is this just a case of a super bad employer that can do whatever they want to me?

I am extremely upset at this point. There is more to the story with regard to his motives but for now, I will keep it simple.
    What does your union rep have to say about the situation?

Are you in a union?

If so, does this violate your contract?

If not, do you have any kind of a contract that guarantees a certain term of employment?

File for unemployment.

Why? At present the teacher remains employed, and will simply have to explore openings at different schools.

Default Re: Teacher's Loss of Position Within a School

Quote Quoting andresrr
    View Post
    . . .he basically had me fired with no cause whatsoever. . . . am being pushed out of the school. . . . they essentially stripped me of the position.
    If you think he's still working, then, you're right, it was premature to say that. The way I read it, I thought he was gone.

In non union situations, the contracts are usually yearly. It appears they elected to not renew yours. Find a new job fast while the schools are still looking for next year.

Again, we're not talking about the loss of employment. We're talking about a teacher who is being forced to transfer to a different school within the district. Their employer is the district, not the school.

If you're a UTLA member, you should be on the phone to them.

However, even with the union contract, you've pretty much got nothing. The district has pretty free reign under the contract to make transfers such that their "best interests" are served, as long as they don't change your classification, especially if they abolish the position as being overstaffed.

You should read your contract or have the union help you understand it. There are mediations available to you though I'm not seeing anything at the face of things that makes this transfer invalid.

Thanks everyone. I suppose being treated unfairly is not against the law. I pretty much figured that one. There is a WHOLE lot more to this story that basically makes my blood boil that I have not stated. But again, if the case is that they can do what they want, then I would likely have to live with it.

At this point, my biggest concern is whether this will show up as a black mark on my record in any way. At this point, we are talking about a position that was district-funded. Because the principal elected not to bring me back (for his reasons), that meant I was displaced from my role period and could not serve in any school. No formal process, not transparency, no negative evaluations (all positive in fact)...nada. So the process stinks.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast