Default Do a Child's Legal Parents Have to Inform the Biological Father of a Name Change

My question involves adoption law for the State of: Mississippi.

When my daughter was born my husband and I were separated. She is biologically not my husbands child, but he is listed as the father on her birth certificate even though she does not share his last name. He signed an affidavit at the time of her birth stating he knew she was not his child which allowed me to give her a different last name.
    Since this we have worked out our marital issues and he has been raising her as his own for the last two years, with no contact at all from her biological father. Can we file the petition to change her name without a lawyer given the circumstances, or will we need biological father's permission to do so?

Default Re: Do a Child's Legal Parents Have to Inform the Biological Father of a Name Change

If in fact your husband is on the child's birth certificate as the child's legal father, then you don't need the involvement or approval of the putative father to proceed with a name change.

1. Sponsored Links