Default Roommate Has Not Paid Rent in Two Months on Verbal Month to Month Lease

My question involves an eviction in the state of: King County Washington

I own a condo and have been renting a room for about the last year. This is a month to month verbal lease. I do believe in WA month to month verbal is legal. Each and every month rent has been late but now he has not paid March or April. He kept giving me excuses and saying he would have the money by a certain date but it never came. So I posted the 3 days to pay or quit form on his door and texted a picture of it to him because he hasn't been home for almost a week.

Do I have to follow the normal eviction process if he does not move out or pay by the 3 days? I am not allowed to lock him out, correct?

Any advice on how to best handle this situation would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Roommate Has Not Paid Rent in Two Months on Verbal Month to Month Lease

An oral lease is legal in every state. A landlord, however, best protects himself by having a legally reviewed, written lease agreement with a tenant.

You do have to follow the standard eviction procedure. There's a basic eviction guide (focused on King County), linking to various resources, available here.

1. Sponsored Links