Default Will Unemployment Find Out if You Don't Report Attending School

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California

Appreciate your feedback in advance!!!!!

So I was recently let go in mid February from a sales management position making really good money. I've been going to school consistently as I worked and I am finally graduating June with a Bachelors degree.
    My question is if I don't report school on my EDD unemployment application was is the likelihood EDD finds out? What resources do they use to check? I've been on interviews and close to jobs of similar level that I came from, but they all require a degree or experience in their specific certain world....I have never applied for EDD and have tried to stay away but I have a mortgage that needs some sort of consistent money flow until June when I can leverage my degree to walk into a job easier...... I try to be as honest as I can in all I do , but it sounds like Unemployment will deny me right away with me reporting the classes I am taking which are scattered throughout the day.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated!!!

Default Re: Unemployment and Reporting School Info Appreciated

I take it you haven't applied for unemployment yet? Dumb you. When a person is laid off through no fault of their own, they need to file for benefits immediately. Unemployment insurance is NOT welfare, is not needs based, and you have no reason to "hold off as long as you can" or as you said, "tried to stay away." This is based on your total misunderstanding of what unemployment insurance is and how you qualify.

Neither will you be declared eligible based on your neediness or your deservingness. You are either eligible or you are not. When you are out of a job and you apply for unemployment, you must be able, available and actively seeking work equivalent to the work you previously held. You must be available for full time work unless you are in "approved training" which they would decide, or unless the work you were laid off from was part time (in some states.) It varies.

The thing for you to do, right now before things go one step further, is that you apply for benefits. You explain to them that you are completing your degree, and that you are available to work, and if you found an equivalent job between now and the time you complete your classes, you would consider whether or not you'd leave the degree or change the classes (IF you found a perfect job) at this time.

In other words, whether you are eligible at this time to draw benefits is sort of contingent on what you say, what you are genuinely willing to do in terms of job seeking right now. But there is NO downside to applying for benefits. The claim will set up now, even if at the present time you are not going to qualify to draw it out because you are not willing to say you'd quit school if you find the perfect job. But why not file? Let them make the decision about your availability.

Why lie? That would be profoundly stupid. Would not make you any more likely to be approved. Be perfectly honest with them. If you are taking night classes, or were taking the same number of classes as while you were working at your last job, I fail to see how your taking the classes now would affect your eligibility. You're continuing to do what you were doing then, which is taking classes while working full time.

As far as why would they find out, if you think you'd be doing something skeevy, you need only to be honest with them about what you are doing. Then a disgruntled friend or ex or somebody who wanted to couldn't report you for fraud. Or you wouldn't be one of the one out of ten or so who was selected for intense scrutiny. Or your income tax records or something tipped them off. They do have lots of resources to find out if you try to lie. Mainly and mostly, the concerned friends you have around you who'd tell on you in a minute if they wanted to are your finest sources of being turned in. They don't understand that it's not welfare, either, and will be very indignant if they think you're committing welfare fraud.

You wouldn't be committing fraud, though, if you tell them you're in shool . File the claim, tell them what you're doing, and let them give you a decision. Don't sit back and try to figure it out by talking to people on the internet before you even file the claim.

Appreciate your feedback. I just know that when I add schooling they will deny me..

CA does not work on a school=denied basis.

They look at the schedule. If the classes on online, weekend or outside of the Mon-Fri 8 am to 5 pm time frame, they will let you have benefits without a problem.

If the classes are Mon-Fri 8 am to 5 pm, then you can still overcome a denial by saying that you'll quit school or change your class schedule. If you really can switch your classes to outside the danger times, then you'll get benefits.

Also, anytime that school is out for breaks like X-mas, Spring, and Summer, you can reopen your claim and draw during your breaks.

You might even get put into the California Training Benefits and then you don't even have to look for work until you finish.

LOTS of people in CA get benefits while going to school. That state isn't nearly as hardnosed as some others in this regard.

So you know, i worked with a CNA that was finishing up her RN degree. She was taking classes during the danger times. She was able to go into her appeal hearing and show that she was still available to a substantial field of employment on 2nd and 3rd shift, and that most new people get hired on those shifts anyway, and she got to keep taking day classes, and got her intial denial overturned. Don't be afraid, just apply, and know what might work against you, so that you get something.

My state is not yours.

In my state, if you are enrolled in a DUA approved re-training program and you got their approval before you enrolled in school (not necessarily before you applied for unemployment) you not only would not be denied, but you would be exempted from having to conduct a job search.

My state would also not object to your being enrolled in school if your classes did not interfere with your regular work shift. If you normally work 9-5 and you are taking classes between 7:30 and 9:30, they'd never blink an eye. As long as you're honest.

However, there are a lot of checks and balances that you do not necessarily see or know about, and if you lie to them, when they find out (notice I did not say IF they find out - I said WHEN they find out) then yeah, bad things would happen.

Quote: "I just know that when I add schooling, they'll deny me"

You sound like you just know it down in your heart, and that it would just break your heart if you were denied. So get a part time job delivering pizzas or something instead of applying if you're really that sure and going to be that traumatized about it.

It costs nothing to apply for unemployment, there are no severe sanctions for being denied, and even if it happened, the denial you get now is not permanent even if you are denied at this time and there is quite a good possibility that they WILL NOT deny you. But you'd rather lie and try to pretend you aren't in school so that you can pick up something by committing fraud and quite possibly set yourself up for an overpayment?

Apply, tell them the truth, and see what happens. Nobody here will (or should) advise you on how much dishonesty we think you can get away with. If you choose to be dishonest with them that is entirely on you, and you alone will bear any consequences of your own dishonesty. Why would anyone else want that on them? You are likely wrong in your assessment of what will happen any way, and this scheming way of approaching the world is not going to serve you well in the long run.

1. Sponsored Links