Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Returning Company Property After Getting Laid Off

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: District of Columbia

I was recently laid off. I was brought into a room and told my position was cut due to lack of funding etc.... I know in general they just wanted to get rid of me, the two managers in the room hated me!!! I worked for a federal contractor. Anyway I had two laptops at my house, one laptop belonged to the fed gov, the other belongs to the federal contractor themselves. In my termination letter it listed the company laptop and indicated I need to return this within 5 days or it will be deducted from my pay (several years old street value prob $500 bucks lol).

Anyway when I went home I got together both laptops and sent an email to my boss and his boss listing the serial numbers and specifics about the hardware. I told him that I wanted a SIGNED RECEIPT from him indicating that I turned these over to him etc.... He replied back saying that I need to return them and that he doesn't have the time to produce such a receipt and that I simply need to trust him. In addition he said he won't produce a receipt for the gov equipment because it's not his resp. Anyway now I don't want to return the items unless I have a receipt from him etc... I generally don't trust this company, my fear is I return this and he comes around (or someone else) says I never returned the items.

Anyway my question is it is justifiable to not return this unless I get a receipt? Also if they deduct this out from my final pay, I imagine I will need to sign a small claims, in that case?

Default Re: Layoff and Return of Property

Take the items in person and selfie yourself handing them over to the receptionist. It's probably a non-issue anyway, most businesses no matter how untrustworthy won't be bothered mounting a lawsuit they will lose. Just get it to them and it's done.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    Take the items in person and selfie yourself handing them over to the receptionist. It's probably a non-issue anyway, most businesses no matter how untrustworthy won't be bothered mounting a lawsuit they will lose. Just get it to them and it's done.
    LOL,

Yeah that might work, didn't think of that, i can imagine they duck and shit while I try. I can also imagine being told it's not sufficient.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Why don't YOU just draft something they just need to sign. Nothing overly verbose, but just that they acknowledge the receipt of XXX items.

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    Why don't YOU just draft something they just need to sign. Nothing overly verbose, but just that they acknowledge the receipt of XXX items.
    I can do that, but he's indicating he won't sign anything. If i get there and he won't sign it I won't give it to him!!!

Based on my past dealings with this employer I simply don't trust them.

Quote Quoting steppinthrax
    View Post
    I can do that, but he's indicating he won't sign anything. If i get there and he won't sign it I won't give it to him!!!

Based on my past dealings with this employer I simply don't trust them.

Well you're going to have to do something since you can't keep the laptops. See if you can get someone from the IT department to sign for them. This is very routine and shouldn't be an issue.

it sounds like they are only seeking the return of the one company computer. What are you intending on doing with the other, government owned computer?

if you really want to push the issue, try to delay the return of the computer with believable stories of delay until after your paycheck is issued. If you can do that, you've won.

If you don't retrurn them and they withhold money from your check, file a wage claim as they cannot deduct money from your paycheck without an authorization by you.

Quote Quoting steppinthrax
    View Post
    LOL,

Yeah that might work, didn't think of that, i can imagine they duck and shit while I try. I can also imagine being told it's not sufficient.
    Ummm "selfie" means a pic of yourself, not someone else.

If you keep the equipment, the possibility of them suing you and winning is extremely high. If you return the equipment and take a selfie of you doing so, the possibility of them suing you and winning is extremely low. Your choice.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    it sounds like they are only seeking the return of the one company computer. What are you intending on doing with the other, government owned computer?

if you really want to push the issue, try to delay the return of the computer with believable stories of delay until after your paycheck is issued. If you can do that, you've won.

If you don't return them and they withhold money from your check, file a wage claim as they cannot deduct money from your paycheck without an authorization by you.
    You are correct, they are caring about their equipment not the gov. MY INTENTION IS TO RETURN BOTH. However, he will physically take both from me. I don't think that delay method will work. They have indicated an exact date of the 15th in the termination letter...... I'm sure they are just waiting for me to "not return it".

Just to make sure it is clear: You do not have any legal grounds to refuse to return them, regardless of whether they do or do not agree in advance to give you a receipt. I hear you saying it is your intent to to return them - I'm not saying you're not. But your initial question was, does their refusal to agree to give you a signed receipt give you justification to refuse to return them, and the answer to that is, No. They will have no reason to deduct anything from your check if you return the property.

If they do make any illegal deductions, you can file a claim for unpaid wages.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast