Default Completing an Ignition Interlock Device Requirement After Moving Out-Of-State

My question involves criminal law for the states of Connecticut and Massachusetts

Background:

I was charged with two DUIs within 9 months about 4 years ago in Connecticut. This led to my driving privileges being limited by one year's license suspension and a two year ignition interlock device (IID) requirement. I did not drive for an additional year and a half (on top of the suspension) before getting a new vehicle and having the device installed. Since getting it installed a little more than a year ago, I have moved to Massachusetts and transferred my registration to MA, receiving a MA license in the process. My new Massachusetts license indicates that I have no restrictions (I understand that an IID requirement is indicated by a "Z" in the restrictions field on the back, but mine is blank).

Question(s):

Does this mean that Massachusetts does not require me to have the device? Would Connecticut currently see that I am still required to have it if I were to be scanned or pulled over while driving there with a Massachusetts registered vehicle and license? Is there any reason for me to keep the device in the car other than the obvious "better safe than sorry"?

Thanks for taking time to consider this confusing situation.

Default Re: Completing an Ignition Interlock Device Requirement After Moving Out-Of-State

Quote Quoting jab24
    View Post
    Is there any reason for me to keep the device in the car other than the obvious "better safe than sorry"?
    What better reason is there than that?

Worst case scenario, you take it out, you get pulled over, the officer runs your license and the CT item comes up and you're toast.

Do yourself a favor and leave the device installed for the rest of the required duration.

Nothing confusing about that.

Unless you're getting the urge to drive over to the local pub and have a few.

Default Re: Completing an Ignition Interlock Device Requirement After Moving Out-Of-State

Thank you for your suggestion, I really appreciate it. I suppose that a better reason might be that someone obviously messed up somewhere along the way and it's clearly acceptable to have it legally removed. Of course I wouldn't know this since I have no legal expertise or procedural understanding in the matter.

Not confused, just curious since it's costing me about $100 per month to maintain.

After experiencing the consequences of drinking and driving while young and dumb and now pursuing a life of sobriety, doing so again is not an option. (But thank you for the concern?)

1. Sponsored Links