Default What Happens if a F1 Student Wins the DV Lottery

Hello,
    My question is the following. I got into graduate school in the US and I just received my I-20 from the school to apply for my F-1. Meanwhile in November 2014 I submitted an entry for the DV Lottery the results of which I find out on May 5, 2015. If I get approved for a student visa, the start date of my F-1 will be August 20, 2015. In case I win the lottery what do I do? Do I continue with it trying to obtain a green card while I have an F-1 visa pending to start?? or Do I reject the DV Lottery and remain with the F-1??
    Thank You

Default Re: Just Got My I-20 to Apply for an F-1, While I Have Entered the 2016 Dv Lottery

If you want to immigrate to the US, you take the DV. The F-1 is a non-immigrant intent visa.

Default Re: Just Got My I-20 to Apply for an F-1, While I Have Entered the 2016 Dv Lottery

Alright I see. So if I obtain the F-1 and then find out I won the DV lottery I can proceed with it without any conflict?

Quote Quoting Angelos
    View Post
    Alright I see. So if I obtain the F-1 and then find out I won the DV lottery I can proceed with it without any conflict?
    Correct.

Ok thank you. And do you think it would be better to wait until after August 20,2015 that my F-1 will be activated and I will be in the US to file for my Green Card and request a status readjustment instead of filing for the consulate processing in my own country?

Remember that more applicants are drawn in the lottery than there are actual visas available. Being selected in the lottery does not guarantee that you will receive a green card.

Be sure you read and understand the USCIS documentation on the DV process.

1. Sponsored Links