Angry My Car Was Towed Because of Expired Registration, but It's Not Expired, Can I Sue

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of:
    California

I left my car parked out in the street, legally. When I went out to go to my new job, my car wasn't there anymore, I called the police to file a report of stolen vehicle, but they told me that it was towed because of expired registration, but it's not expired till may, we went to the in pound, they told me to go to the Police station to get a release, but they said they can't till the next day, I went back to the in pound and they showed me the reason why they took it. It said my registration was expired for more than 6 months already, but I have the proof that it's not expired till May. And theyre going to make me pay $257 plus $40 per day for ny vehicle being there ay the impound, Can I sue them? They made me lose my job, they made me waste my time and gas money that I had to pay a friend for giving me a ride. And I had a lot of things to do! Can I sue them for all of this?

Default Re: My Car Was Towed Because of Expired Registration, but It's Not Expired, Can I Sue

You say you have "proof" of current registration. What is that proof? Could your registration have been suspended for some other reason? Perhaps you did not get a smog check and what you have is a report of deposit of fees and NOT a valid registration?

You have a right to request a post-storage impound hearing with the storing law enforcement agency within 10 days of the impound. They have 48 hours (2 business days) to make this meeting happen. At that meeting you can show the hearing officer your proof and ask how they determined that the registration was expired.

Clearly someone made a mistake. Either you are mistaken, or, the officer ran the plate and either the officer got the wrong info from a dispatcher or DMV, or you had expired stickers and no one bothered to check the DMV database (which would still be bad on the agency).

I would suggest you get the car out of impound, first. The costs go up each day, and even if you prevailed in a civil suit, you will likely still be liable for every day it was in storage after you were notified it was there. And, after 30 days it can be put up for a lien sale.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: My Car Was Towed Because of Expired Registration, but It's Not Expired, Can I Sue

I have everything, the registration isn't suspended at all, and I have my insurance paid, and my registration expires till May and the sticker is up to date too, my car has smog check and everything else is fine too, I have no parking tickets either, by the way, I'm still paying my car to a dealer.. does that have anything to do with it?

The fact that you are financing the car shouldn't be an issue unless the dealer never paid the registration for the new purchase (assuming you just bought it a while ago).

I'd get the car out of impound tomorrow and schedule that hearing.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting asencio0514
    View Post
    I went back to the in pound and they showed me the reason why they took it. It said my registration was expired for more than 6 months already, but I have the proof that it's not expired till May.
    So, what did they show you as the reason the vehicle was towed?

1. Sponsored Links