My question involves small claims court in the state of: New York
This case involves money owed by one of my rooomates that I lived with for some time. It is for various expenses as well as other funds that I can never receive back.
It should be noted that 3 people lived in the apartment. Me my friend, and the person I want to sue.
When moving in we all agreed to use a platform called Splitwise.com to manage our expenses. Basically if somebody buys something you put that record into that app on your phone and it splits the amounts due for everyone over a period of time. Payments were always made until there was a fallout with the person in question. Below are the list of things that I wish to sue him for with explanations of what I have for proof.
List of expenses:
1) When it was time to move out he owed me about $250 dollars in funds for various expenses through the Splitwise app.
Proof: I have the ability to export all payments through the splitwise.com website since 2013 which adds up the value as a whole. I have proof of payments and maybe a check laying around. Do I need to prove that he agreed to use this system or is our word good enough?
2) We received a security deposit filed back to us on the moveout, however the landlord refused to split it by the prorated charge we originally had one 900 one 1100 one 1200. By splitting it equally the person received an additional 166 dollars that wasnt his
Proof: emails from our landlord
3) We had several days worth of manual labor construction that had to be done before we left to make sure the deposit was received. Painting, repainting, ripping down walls, cleaning appliances etc. I would say 2 guys with three days of work. If you would have paid for the labor at at least minumum wage it would be about $200. Can I sue for the amount of work done or a value of the deposit?
4) We all agreed to that since he did not do any work before we left that he would clean up the apartment mop the floors before he left. He did not and they charged us $300 for cleaning
Proof: Word of mouth agreement between all roomates
5) I have to take a day off of work and just started a new job and they will not pay for a sick or vacation day yet. This amounts to about $180 + the expenses for going to court about another 50 bucks.
Proof of how much I make
So the total I want to sue for is about 1100 dollars.
In all respect I would actually give this money to charity its more about the principle of him being a friend and not returning the money. He also owes my roomate money as well. Would my roomate need to come to court to be a witness? or would a letter signed by him be enough proof.
Out of curiosity mostly, It would be really great if someone can let me know how this will likely play in court as I dont want to waste time coming home with nothing or very little, its just not worth the effort in that case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.