Default Can I Be Required to Pay a Down Payment Not Taken at the Time of Purchase

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Texas

I recently bought a used car from a dealership. I financed the car through my own bank.

While I was talking to the bank about payments, I told them I would put $2,000 down on the car. I thought I paid the down payment to the bank, not the dealership.

I never told the dealership about any down payment. The bank sent the drafting information and I sign all the papers and they let me go with the car.

I got a call about a week later saying that the bank sent the drafting information $2,000 short and that they need that money.

My question is, Do I legally owe them this money?

Default Re: Do I Owe This Dealership $2,000 by Law

Quote Quoting triggdev
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Texas

I recently bought a used car from a dealership. I financed the car through my own bank.

While I was talking to the bank about payments, I told them I would put $2,000 down on the car. I thought I paid the down payment to the bank, not the dealership.

I never told the dealership about any down payment. The bank sent the drafting information and I sign all the papers and they let me go with the car.

I got a call about a week later saying that the bank sent the drafting information $2,000 short and that they need that money.

My question is, Do I legally owe them this money?
    Look at your contract. It will say exactly how much money you agreed to pay for the car. If the money sent by the bank was 2000.00 less than what you contractually agreed to pay, then yes, you owe them that money.

Default Re: Do I Owe This Dealership $2,000 by Law

I thought I paid the down payment to the bank, not the dealership.
    i cannot imagine how you ever came to that conclusion but let's go with it:

did you give the bank the $2000 for the down payment? Somewhere along the line if you did not give it to somebody, then surely you understand you do owe it to somebody, right?

since now you know the dealership is who you were supposed to give the $2k to, then go give it to them.

1. Sponsored Links