Default Car Does Not Pass Smog

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

A couple days ago I drove from San Diego to Los Angeles and I purchased a vehicle and the engine light was on but the sellers mechanic said it was due to a small amount of water that got into the spark plugs since they washed the engine and the water would evaporate and the light would go off but it never did. He never gave me proof that the car had previously passed smog either

I contacted the seller about this and said to take the car back to Los Angeles from San Diego so the mechanic could fix it and I did, he fixed it and on the way back theto san diego light didn't come on until the next day when I was on my way to smog the car. Again I contacted the seller and he wants me to take the car back to Los Angeles and leave it there for 2 days with his mechanic

so I'm wondering if I can just fix the car in San Diego and sent him the bill? Or what is my best option since I can't spend a lot more money on gas for that car and the extra car for my way back

Default Re: Car Does Not Pass Smog

Quote Quoting villalobosjesus
    View Post
    so I'm wondering if I can just fix the car in San Diego and sent him the bill? Or what is my best option since I can't spend a lot more money on gas for that car and the extra car for my way back
    Perhaps you should call the seller and ask him if you can fix the car in San Diego and how much he might be willing to reimburse you. Then see if it behooves you to drive the car back or not.

I have contacted the seller and he insists that I take the car back to LA since he payed the mechanic to fix it before it was sold and so the mechanic has to fix it.

The thing is I want to know if I can fix the car in San Diego and sent him the bill so I won't have to drive up there for a third time and waste more money unless he does give me some money Back which i doubt it

What is the engine code? Sometimes it is as simple as warming up the engine and slowly feeding 1/3 can Sea Foam into the throttle body, then clearing the code.

When I had taken the car back the guy he said it had a P0330 code but he said he fixed it and I don't have a code reader sorry

Quote Quoting villalobosjesus
    View Post
    When I had taken the car back the guy he said it had a P0330 code but he said he fixed it and I don't have a code reader sorry
    That engine code is the knock sensor. I don't know the make of the car but generally speaking it is caused by:

- Faulty knock sensor
    - Knock sensor circuit poor electrical connection
    - Knock sensor harness is open or shorted
    - Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

The first three shouldn't cost too much to fix but the last one will be expensive. Bring the car to a mechanic and get an estimate. If the sensor needs replacing, insist on OEM parts not aftermarket parts.

To answer your question about repair and then sending the bill to the seller is there is no guarantee that the seller will pay. That will leave you having to sue for the money.

1. Sponsored Links