Default How Much Direction Can a Client Give to an Independent Contractor

My question involves independent contractors in the state of: I routinely provide videography services in MD, VA and DC. I have also worked in DE, PA, NJ and WV. When working as an Independent Contractor, where is the line drawn between what a client has a legal right to expect and what decisions can be made by the contractor? I was told many years ago that an Independent Contractor cannot be told by the client HOW any job should be completed, but I don't know what law or laws that statement was based on, or to what that specifically does and does not apply.

Default Re: Rights of Independent Contractor

I think this is more of a customer service question than it is a legal question. Just because you don't have a "boss" doesn't mean you should not listen to what it is your clients want you to do. After all, your success in videography relies on your ability to satisfy customers and have them recommend you to others. I would do everything possible to perform your job exactly as they want you to. There is no law stating that a client cannot tell an independent contractor that they are unhappy with his performance or that he should or should not carry out his contracted duties in one way or another.

Default Re: How Much Direction Can a Client Give to an Independent Contractor

Quote Quoting mulder1013
    View Post
    I was told many years ago that an Independent Contractor cannot be told by the client HOW any job should be completed,
    That's an issue where there is some doubt as to whether somebody is an employee or an independent contractor and doesn't necessarily apply when you are in business for yourself serving numerous clients.

When you are in business for yourself you pretty much do what your customers want you to do or you don't have customers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting mulder1013
    View Post
    where is the line drawn between what a client has a legal right to expect and what decisions can be made by the contractor?
    The line is drawn when the customer says "Oh, you don't want to do it that way. I'll get someone else."

1. Sponsored Links