Default Leaving the State With Two Pending Domestic Violence Charges

My question involves criminal law for the state of: NM and PA

In December I got 2 misdemeanor charges in NM for battery against a household member and spent 12 days total in jail. They are 2 separate charges, 2 separate incidents, both of which were in self defense but since I didn't have any marks on me and my boyfriend did (the first incident he had an ink mark on his face because I threw a pen at him and the second he had a scratch on his neck) I went to jail and he did not. I have absolutely no prior record so for the first offense I was ROR'd but for the second I got out on bail which was set at $6,000. I moved to PA because I feared for my safety from him and he told me that he was going to go to my court dates (coming up in mid March) and testify to make sure that I went back to jail. I don't drive so I'm not planning on getting pulled over or having ANY contact with the police while in PA. BUT, if I do will they arrest me because I'm sure I will have warrants for failure to appear (or who knows what else) when I don't show up to court. Or will NM extradite me? Also, even if my ex knows where I am, is there anything he could do to get me in further trouble? Any information is helpful because I have never been in trouble and I'm stressing the hell out! Thanks.

Default Re: I Have 2 Pending Charges in Nm but I Now Live in Pa

Further trouble? You're in plenty of trouble as it is. Yes you can be arrested. Yes you can be held by the PA authorities until someone from NM decides if they want to come get you.

Retaliation is not self defense. You need a lawyer.

Yes, if warrants are issued there is a chance that you will be arrested during any police encounter.

You will also forfeit your bail and/or if you used a bail company, they may send someone to come get you.

Default Re: Leaving the State With Two Pending Domestic Violence Charges

Whether or not you will be picked up on a warrant in another state depends upon the pickup radius of the warrant. Many warrants will designate a limited pickup radius within a state, and many are not registered for interstate enforcement. If your warrants do provide for interstate pickup, you can be arrested and detained pending extradition proceedings. Also, as free9man indicates, if you used a bail bonding service they could potentially try to take you into custody.

Yep, and if his first release was an unsecured bond rather than ROR (often confused as you pay nothing to get out on either), there may be bounty hunters after him for that as well.

So would it be worth it for a bounty hunter to go from NM to PA to get me for a $6,000 bond? What will happen to the person who posted my bond?

Quote Quoting GloriaGilbert
    View Post
    So would it be worth it for a bounty hunter to go from NM to PA to get me for a $6,000 bond?
    Maybe, maybe not. No telling what your bail company might do.

Quote Quoting GloriaGilbert
    View Post
    What will happen to the person who posted my bond?
    They lose the money and any collateral if they had to put it up. Might have to deal with lots of calls/visits from bonding company or their representatives inquiring about you.

1. Sponsored Links