Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    New York, NY

    Unhappy Is a Child's Mother's Name Changed on the Birth Certificate After Adoption

    My question involves name change laws in the State of: New York, NY

    My youngest daughter, who is now 17 years old, was adopted by her paternal aunt in 2010, due to ACS(Administration for Children's Services). My parental rights were terminated in 2010. I tried to prevent this from happening, but, to no avail. I tried getting the default judgment thrown out, & couldn't. I tried to get the case heard in Supreme Court, but, it was denied. I tried to order my daughter's birth certificate recently, and it was cancelled, due to the fact that my name as my child's mother had been erased from the birth certificate, & replaced with the adoptive parent's name. I'd like to know when was the law concerning the natural parent's name on the birth certificate could be replaced by the adoptive parent's name as the mother? Back in the day, that wasn't the case. When children were adopted, there were adoption papers, & the natural parent's name remained on the child's birth certificate. That was how adopted children was able to track down their natural parents, if they were interested. Of course, when I found out my name was erased from the birth certificate, I was not only angry, but, extremely hurt. I really don't think this is right. It was bad enough my child was stolen from me, but, now, I'm erased as her mother on the birth certificate. It's horribly, horribly wrong. Please answer ASAP. Thank you so much.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Re: Child's Mother's Name Change on Birth Certificate to Adoptive Parent Name As Moth

    No it isn't. A new BC is issued after an adoption.
    As you may know, New York State adoption records are sealed.

    The New York State Office of Children and Family Services does not maintain adoption records. You should begin your search by contacting the agency and the county Department of Social Services that handled your case. In addition, the New York State Health Department's Adoption Registry may have records related to your specific adoption history.

    Three kinds of information may be available from the Registry: non-identifying, identifying, and medical:

    Non-identifying Information: If you are adopted or if you are the biological sibling of an adopted person, you can get non-identifying information about your birth parents even if they do not register with the Adoption Registry or consent to sharing. This includes their general appearance, religion, ethnicity, race, education, occupation, etc.; the name of the agency that arranged the adoption; and the facts and circumstances relating to the nature and cause of the adoption.
    Identifying Information: If all are registered and all have given their final consents, adoptees and their birth parents, or adoptees and their biological siblings can share their current names and addresses. If only one parent signed the surrender agreement or consented to the adoption, then the registration of the other parent is not needed for the exchange of identifying information between the adoptee and the registered birth parent.
    Medical Information: Birth parents can give medical and psychological information to the Registry any time after the adoption. If the adoptee is already registered, the information will be shared with him or her. If the adoptee is not registered, the information will be kept until the adoptee registers. The information is important to adoptees because it can indicate if they have a higher risk of some diseases. Medical information updates must be certified by a licensed health care provider.

    Adoption is when one or two people take another person (usually a child) to be his, her or their own child. The correct way to do this is the legal way. When you legally adopt a child, you have all the rights and the responsibilities of natural parents. The adopted child has all the same rights as if s/he had been born naturally to you.

    The adopted child gets a new birth certificate. You can put a new name for the child on the new birth certificate, if you want to. The child’s last name will be the same as yours.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Grandparents and Third Parties: Can a Birth Mother Obtain Custody of a Child Given Up for Adoption
    By Abbyy in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM
  2. Establishing Paternity: Mother Did Not Add Husband to Child's Birth Certificate
    By Jeffrey Snow in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
  3. Changing an Adult's Name: Correcting Mother's Name in a Child's Birth Certificate
    By klv in forum Name Change
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 01:17 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
  5. Disestablishing Paternity: Can a child's birth certificate be changed years after birth
    By Confused99 in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources