Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Medical Practice Terminated Patient Due to Theft of Medications

My question involves a person located in the state of: Washington. To be as concise as possible, I have been on a forced Controlled Substance Agreement for Oxycontin and Klonopin following interferon based chemotherapy. I have been cutting the opioid medications down from extremely high doses until last August. A pharmacist gave me the wrong primary medication, and mixed medications in two other bottles, which had been picked up Friday then locked in safe. I called the pharmacist who asked if I had enough to last till the next Monday, which I did.

Bringing all three bottles in as requested, the pharmacist then came around from behind the counter in front of numerous customers who became quite interested as he verbally identified the meds, and as they were generic, watched as I took the morning doses of which the Oxycontin was a different looking shape and color, and turned out to be nearly three times stronger, plus the other meds.

I had recently lost over 30% of my body weight in less than 6 months, and was placed on a very calorie-dense enteral supplementation that food coupons no longer cover, which required driving an additional 10 miles to the bank. On the way back I stopped at a grocery store feeling like another "fatigue attack" was beginning, and locked the car to hurry to the store. While in the store my car was broken into, and though hidden lost tools, painting gear, a camera, and most importantly my medications. This required me to get the store manager, call the police and though there were clearly finger marks where the window had been pulled back and door unlocked, no prints were taken. I took the police report to the clinic where my doctor was not there and saw an unfamiliar ARNP who cancelled my medications though I had never acted in any way in violation of this contract of adhesion, and my doctor (not knowing the ultimate effect of "referral to pain management."

After looking into pain management clinics, procedures and actions, I found that after an initial risk assessment is done, if blood or urinalysis tests show positive for opioids and benzodiazepines (as well as nicotine, cannabis [medical or otherwise] alcohol or any medication not on the "active medication list" the ONLY alternative (and this applies only to SSI, SSDI, or DSHS patients) is to be placed on Suboxone (which I had already voluntarily tried and had to be taken off of due to adverse side effects) and to have any benzodiazepines abruptly discontinued.

I am more than willing to get off the pain meds as I voluntarily cut myself from a maximum (during chemo) of 240 mgs of methadone to 75mg of oxycontin BEFORE this zero tolerance (any lost or stolen medications under any circumstances, including burglary, robbery, motel theft etc etc - and no recourse regardless of how many years of strict compliance) but having PTSD, severe general and social anxiety disorders as well as a prior history of seizures and being placed on Klonopin (a benzodiazepine 20 times stronger than Valium, for me equal to 80mg of Valium and over 20 years of responsible use, the effects of abrupt discontinuation (cold turkey) is deadly. Every medical book written about this medication sternly warns against abruptly stopping this med for causing seizures, potentially deadly, as well as up to seven years of protracted withdrawal that I can only describe as horrifying. A very large percentage of people forced into this nightmare have either killed themselves or been ruined as humans for the rest of their lives.

The published "reasoning" behind this anti-diversion program only being applied to those persons on SSI, SSDI, or DSHS (low income persons) is that they are "more" likely to divert these drugs. It would seem to me that this identification and treatment based on a person's income with the assumption of guilt, and no option to have accurate tests that can PROVE whether a person is taking them as directed would violate financial discrimination laws as well as other constitutional liberties and protections of the Federal Constitution. Unless my understanding of The State's Constitutions can affordMORE protections than the Federal, but they can never take away from those afforded under Federal law.

Is there any way to eliminate or modify these unconscionable results? An advocate? Anything? Until they checked for themselves, no-one believed this could actually be done to anyone, then my doctor apologized and my parents health started failing from the stress of having to helplessly watch as their only child withers away until the horror gets to be too much.

If anyone has any ideas on getting this resolved please let me know. There are now thousands of people caught in this trap where a victim of a crime becomes the punished party, and it is only getting worse.

Thank you,

Vin

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Cut Off Medications After Car Burgled and Stolen

Oh stop all the dramatics. October 2014, the Feds changed all kinds of things that made prescribing most pain medications much harder to do and thus instead of dealing with all the restrictions, doctors referred ALL their patients that required long term pain management treatment to pain management clinics regardless of their financial standing.

It's happened to MANY people I know and I don't know anyone who is low income, so hopefully that makes you feel better. As for if there is any way around this? No, there's not. If you have a medical emergency based on your switching medications or going through withdrawal, go to your nearest emergency room or call 911.

There may be discrimination present, but it is not illegal discrimination.

Unfortunately, too many pain patients do actually make an attempt to obtain more by using the excuse that the meds were stolen. Whether it applies here, I cannot say. But if you're being painted someone else's brush, you're one of the unlucky ones.

I'm not entirely sure you understand the Constitutions, either.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    I'm not entirely sure you understand the Constitutions, either.
    How many do we have????

I agree, cut the drama. I take opiates and Klonpin also in addition to my multiple other meds. If you are having PTSD symptoms you should be seeing a psychiatrist who can determine if you need it and a therapist that specializes in EMDR to assist with the PTSD.

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    How many do we have????
    48. In my universe alone

Do not microwave grapes

There are no laws that say any dr has to treat a patient for their chronic pain or that they have to continue to treat any patient for their chronic pain.Pain contracts and tox screen are up to each individula dr, there are no laws requiring it. The ADA has nothing to do with if a dr prescribes pain meds or if a pharmacy will fill them. Although for some reason, some chronic pain patients seem to think it does.

No, but if the doctor wants to discharge a patient he must follow the procedure.

Do not microwave grapes

Pain contracts vary, depending on the physician. But, they do state that the patient can be fired/discharged and not receive any other meds if the contract is broken. When a patient signs one of these contracts and agrees to them, they accept responsibility. No one holds a gun to the patientrs head and makes them sign the contract. If the patient doesn't like the rules a Medicaid or low income provider has, they can pay for their own medical care. Patients must be responsible when it comes to taking these meds. It may not always be pleasant, but it is necessary.

I was referring to what happens after the decision has been made and the question of liability should the physician muck it up completely.

So yes, obviously a patient can be dismissed for non-compliance. This does not mean that the physician can essentially abandon the patient - if anything, it's in the physician's best interest to help the patient find alternate care etc.

Oh - where are you getting the "no one holds a gun" from?

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast