Default Condo Association Ended Automatic Payments and Now Wants to Charge Late Fees

My question involves a condominium located in the State of: IL (Evanston, Cook County)

Hello forum members,

This is my first post and I could really use your help and advice.
    My condo association company sent me a "demand for possession" notice a few days ago, because I have not paid my association fees for the last 3 months.

This was a completely surprise but also true - I had setup a recurring payment as per the condo association's instructions and it got canceled a few months ago (and I didn't realize it).
    I also followed up with my bank and have a written note from them confirming that it was actually the receiving party that canceled the recurring payment.

Furthermore, the condo mgmt company did not send me a single notice or warning prior to this.

I have offered to pay them (immediately) all the back payments - the payment is really not an issue for me.
    However, I wanted to contest the late fees and the legal fees (about $300 in all) - I feel that they should have at least tried to contact us earlier, either when the recurring payment stopped, or anytime in the last few months.

However, the debt collection agency is now saying that the recurring payment is set to expire after 12 months, and are asking me to pay the full amount including all legal fees as per Association Rules.

Please help advice me on what to do. On one hand, I do want to put this behind me and the amount is not that big, but I still feel really bad at the unprofessional way they have treated me.

Thanks,
    ThinkingSimple

Default Re: Condo Association Ended Automatic Payments and Now Wants to Charge Late Fees

If in fact the recurring payment you set up was scheduled to expire after 12 months, something that should be apparent from the language of your authorization, you are likely stuck paying the charges. Do you have a copy of your authorization handy, so that you can tell us what it says?

Default Re: Condo Association Ended Automatic Payments and Now Wants to Charge Late Fees

Quote Quoting thinkingsimple
    View Post
    I still feel really bad at the unprofessional way they have treated me.
    Welcome to HOA living. Won't be the last time that the HOA screws around with you.

Anyway, the problem you have is that you are dealing with a collection agency that isn't going to care what kind of documentation you provide.

Thanks for your prompt replies. I ended up making the full payment as the deadline is fast approaching. Does the company that is running our condo association have no obligation at all to try and at least contact me if they notice a missed payment? All the other companies try to contact us if are missed a months phone bill or cable bill. Is there no too faith obligation for them at all?

Do they normally send statements, or is there simply an expectation that the ongoing fee will be paid on time?

No, they don't send statements every month.If so, we would have noticed earlier as well. They also don't have an online way for me to check my balance.

1. Sponsored Links