Wilmington, North Carolina, United States

Default Hit While Parallel Parking

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: North Carolina

I was backing into a parallel parking space, when I started to park there was no traffic behind me. As I backed into the space a city bus turned the corner approaching my car from behind. As I backed partially into the space the front of the bus struck the side of my front bumper as it was still sticking out into the lane of traffic. The bus driver said that I had backed and then adjusted forward and my claim was that my car was in reverse and stopped when struck. There may be surveillance video from the bus showing me parking in the space as the bus approached. I want to know who is at fault and if it makes a difference if I was moving forward or backwards when hit. I thought the bus shouldn't have tried to pass me while parking but wasn't sure if I was required to get in the space quick enough to avoid traffic that wasn't there when I started parking. Now this is the south so I was not going to make it into the space in one maneuver and had touched the curb preventing me from backing any further. So I wasn't exactly doing a great job of parallel parking. Here is a diagram https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8g...ew?usp=sharing

Default Re: Hit While Parallel Parking

The question of who is at fault will depend upon whether whomever is assessing fault believes your version of events or the bus driver's version of events.

I go for option B. The bus was going down the road and you were focused on lining up the rear of your car, turning the front into the path of the bus since you thought it was clear but did not check again.

The legal presumption is that the bus had the right of way.

That you were sticking out into the street when the bus hit you gives the bus driver the benefit of that presumption.

You are likely going to be found at fault.

1. Sponsored Links