Default Does Part Time Work Affect Social Security Benefits After Early Retirement

easy question, if I retire in Sept. at age 62 can I work some sort of part time work while drawing my SS. And if so how much example say like 600 a month or less

Default Re: Early Retirement

That was such an easy question that I found the answer in about 3 seconds on the SSA website.

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2015, that limit is $15,720.

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/whileworking.htm

You can make up to about $1300 per month and not lose any benefits.

If you make more than that you still get to keep $1 out of every $2 you make and you don't actually lose that money. It's applied to future benefits. Plus, while you are working you are still contributing to SS so as to enhance future benefits.

Your retirement benefit would be reduced by 25%. Until you reach age 66, your benefits would further be reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn above $15720.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire2/agereduction.htm

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10069.pdf

ok thanks, the reason I ask is that I am already receiving a retirement check from one company and in sept I will be 62. was thinking of taking early retirement and I already have a company that want me to work for them whenever I want they said they would pay me anywhere between 500 and 800 a month. this is all the money I would ever need between SS, the company retirement check and say 500 to 800 would not need any more than that

Quote Quoting jlawson435
    View Post
    ok thanks, the reason I ask is that I am already receiving a retirement check from one company and in sept I will be 62. was thinking of taking early retirement and I already have a company that want me to work for them whenever I want they said they would pay me anywhere between 500 and 800 a month. this is all the money I would ever need between SS, the company retirement check and say 500 to 800 would not need any more than that
    Go for it.

I would take that in a heartbeat.

1. Sponsored Links