Default What Rules and Restrictions May a Landlord Impose on Somebody Who Rents a Room

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

Hello my boyfriend is currently renting a room at a private residence. He shares a kitchen and bathroom with the land owner and they have a rental agreement of a one year lease. Another lodger lives there but is a in a room that has been converted into a private unit that includes a small kitchen and a private bathroom(probably not legally) The LL and my boyfriend do not get along as she sets many restrictions on him including when he can cook,( not after ten pm), no day time visitors during the week/ no overnight guests. She has also restricted his use on basic utilities. She has harassed him with many notes, loud noises in the morning when he is sleeping, slamming doors, and insults in said notes as well as setting many arbitrary rules that were not mentioned in their rental agreement. She also plans to deduct from his deposit because I slept overr on a sunday ( a weekday ). It says nothing about that in her rental agreement. She constantly disrespects his privacy and knocks on his door constantly to have talks with him and bully him into leaving. What should he do? Is this legal because he is technically a lodger or does he have the same rights as a tenant? We live in California

LINK BELOW OF HARASSMENT EXAMPLES PLEASE TAKE A LOOK. THESE ARE TEXT MESSAGES BETWEEN THEM BUT THERE IS ALSO A PLETHORA OF WRITTEN NOTES AS WELL
    https://imageshack.com/a/0jLz/1

Default Re: What Rules and Restrictions May a Landlord Impose on Somebody Who Rents a Room

What does the rental agreementsay about house rules and overnight guests?

Is this a month-to-month tenancy? When a month-to-month tenant doesn't like the landlord, the tenant has the option of giving notice and finding a new place to live. Also, with a month-to-month tenancy, the landlord can modify the lease terms on proper notice.

Default Re: What Rules and Restrictions May a Landlord Impose on Somebody Who Rents a Room

It says no overnight stays for longer than the duration of a full weekend
    The contract was a 1 year lease agreement.
    Did you look at the link with the harassing text messages and check if they can indeed be considered harassment

I don't see any harassment on the part of the LL. Why continue to argue? The LL has agreed that your BF will be moving at the end of the month (and will probably let him go sooner) so he might be wise to just abide by the rules until then. Why does he want to stay?

1. Sponsored Links