Default Obtaining Title to "Abandoned" Car in Michigan

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Michigan

I am closing on a house this week. The realtors indicated that the car in the driveway has been "abandoned" by the woman's boyfriend. They are suggesting that I will be able to put a lien for storage on the vehicle after owning the property, and that after 60 or 90 days I can apply for title to the vehicle. Is there any merit to this, and what, exactly, would I need to do? Thanks..

Default Re: Obtaining Title to "Abandoned" Car in Michigan

Quote Quoting wnc817
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Michigan

I am closing on a house this week. The realtors indicated that the car in the driveway has been "abandoned" by the woman's boyfriend. They are suggesting that I will be able to put a lien for storage on the vehicle after owning the property, and that after 60 or 90 days I can apply for title to the vehicle. Is there any merit to this, and what, exactly, would I need to do? Thanks..
    I would have refused to close on the house until the car is removed.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I would have refused to close on the house until the car is removed.
    I haven't closed yet. I would like to know what my options are.

Here, read.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Here, read.
    Thank you for the link. I actually was trying to locate a concrete answer using the SOS website earlier this morning. I can only assume, based on these responses, that the answer is "no". Thanks..

You can't claim a vehicle that was abandoned on property you own, things are slightly different when you purchase property that has a vehicle on it though.
    Best bet, if you want the property, just call it in as an abandoned vehicle and someone will pick it up shortly.

Quote Quoting wnc817
    View Post
    Thank you for the link. I actually was trying to locate a concrete answer using the SOS website earlier this morning. I can only assume, based on these responses, that the answer is "no". Thanks..
    It's an incredibly bad idea to close on the property with the abandoned car still on it.

I had the exact same thing happen to me some years ago. I went to the house on the day before the close and the car was on the property. I called up the seller's realtor and said I'm not closing until the car is removed. Period. The realtor called me later and said it was removed. I went back to the house and the seller had moved it on to the street in front of the house. I called the realtor and said that doesn't cut it. Have it hauled away or I don't close. Period. Next morning it was gone.

Here's where your power is. If you don't close the seller doesn't get the money and the realtor doesn't get the commission.

Once you sign, your power is gone. Everybody gets paid and you get stuck with the hassle of getting rid of the car.

Trust me, you do not want to be involved with that car after you buy the property.

The seller and/or the seller's realtor will do whatever it takes to get rid of the car so they can get their money.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    It's an incredibly bad idea to close on the property with the abandoned car still on it.

I had the exact same thing happen to me some years ago. I went to the house on the day before the close and the car was on the property. I called up the seller's realtor and said I'm not closing until the car is removed. Period. The realtor called me later and said it was removed. I went back to the house and the seller had moved it on to the street in front of the house. I called the realtor and said that doesn't cut it. Have it hauled away or I don't close. Period. Next morning it was gone.

Here's where your power is. If you don't close the seller doesn't get the money and the realtor doesn't get the commission.

Once you sign, your power is gone. Everybody gets paid and you get stuck with the hassle of getting rid of the car.

Trust me, you do not want to be involved with that car after you buy the property.

The seller and/or the seller's realtor will do whatever it takes to get rid of the car so they can get their money.
    Listen to this.... it's the best advice you're going to get.

1. Sponsored Links