Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Getting Title from the State

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: florida

I read in the code the state keeps the title for 10 years, is this true? If true why would they keep my property.

Default Re: Where is the Title

Please provide a citation to the code section you are looking at, and better explain what you are trying to ask.

(12) All titles, manufacturers’ statements of origin, applications, and supporting documents submitted with the application, including, but not limited to, odometer statements, vehicle identification number verifications, bills of sale, indicia of ownership, dealer reassignments, photographs, and any personal identification, affidavits, or documents required by or submitted to the department, shall be retained by the departmental for not less than 10 years.

319.23 Florida statutes

Now, the question is where is my title, and why don't I have it?

Before you say the cert of title is the title, please read the definition of cert of title because it states it is a record of evidence of a title but it is NOT a title at all.

Thanks in advance.

Also how do I ask the state for my title back?

Call somebody at the state and ask nicely.

You're choosing not to share the relevant facts, so nobody here is going to be able to help you understand your situation.

Default Re: Getting Title from the State

This refers to the old title submitted. We have no idea where your title is. If you have plates in your name, a title was once issued it is a good bet.

Yesme;864505](12) All titles, manufacturers’ statements of origin, applications, and supporting documents submitted with the application, including, but not limited to, odometer statements, vehicle identification number verifications, bills of sale, indicia of ownership, dealer reassignments, photographs, and any personal identification, affidavits, or documents required by or submitted to the department, shall be retained by the departmental for not less than 10 years.
    they are referring to the certificate of title. It is apparently an error in their use of terms. In every other paragraph in that section they referred to certificates of titles. I guess they were just too tired to write certificate one more time before they sent the proposed law off to the printers.

Now, the question is where is my title, and why don't I have it?
    If you are the owner, you do have it. Title is an intangible. They produce a certificate of title to support the intangible title.

Also how do I ask the state for my title back?
    it sounds like you want your certificate of title back. The state does not hold the "title". The owner does.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    This refers to the old title submitted. We have no idea where your title is. If you have plates in your name, a title was once issued it is a good bet.
    No.

The statute 319.23 is

319.23 Application for, and issuance of, certificate of title.—

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    they are referring to the certificate of title. It is apparently an error in their use of terms. In every other paragraph in that section they referred to certificates of titles. I guess they were just too tired to write certificate one more time before they sent the proposed law off to the printers.

If you are the owner, you do have it. Title is an intangible. They produce a certificate of title to support the intangible title.

it sounds like you want your certificate of title back. The state does not hold the "title". The owner does.
    1. To tired? That's a good one. Number (12) deals with documents you must submit when applying for a new cert of title.

Which is clear in their language......

and supporting documents submitted with the application,

What application do you think they mean?

2. Ah title is intangable is it?

So I buy a new car, I don't want to title or register it as it is going to be shipped to my home in brazil. What title paperwork does the dealer give to me so I can prove ownership?

3. The owner might hold equitable title but not perfect title.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I am reading in 319.23 I am not sure I have to apply for a cert of title

(2) The applicant for a certificate of title shall indicate on the application if the motor vehicle is to be used as a taxicab, police vehicle, or lease vehicle or if the motor vehicle or mobile home is a rebuilt vehicle, as those terms are defined in s. 319.14. Upon issuance of a certificate of title for such vehicle, the department shall stamp, in a conspicuous place on the title, words stating the nature of the proposed use of the vehicle or stating that the vehicle has been rebuilt and may have previously been declared a total loss vehicle due to damage. This subsection applies to a mobile home, travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, or fifth-wheel recreation trailer only when the mobile home or vehicle is a rebuilt vehicle as defined in s. 319.14.

The dealer cannot transfer ownership otherwise. You should be able to apply for a title using an out of state address. Your problem is more that unless you are here only for a day, you have an address, even if it is a hotel. You also must have proof of insurance even if only until you ship the car out of the US to drive it to the port.

My father owns a ford dealership, we get a lot of foreigners here. The paperwork he gives them, and no they don't have an address or insurance is

Man statement of origin

They also have to sign an affidavit stating they will title it in another state/country.

In fact the statutes lay this procedure out.

Let me perhaps ask a simpler question.

What does the manufacture send to the dealership as far as title paperwork goes?

- - - Updated - - -

And here it is.......

In the case of the sale of a motor vehicle by a licensed motor vehicle dealer to a general purchaser who resides in another state or country, the dealer is not required to apply for a certificate of title for the motor vehicle; however, the dealer must transfer ownership and reassign the certificate of title or manufacturer’s certificate of origin to the purchaser, and the purchaser must sign an affidavit, as approved by the department, that the purchaser will title and register the motor vehicle in another state or country

A c of o is effectively the manufacturers title. It must be delivered to the germane stste so ownership will be registered to the purchaser after which that state will issue a certificate of title.

Yes, title is an intangible. You can't physically hold title. The easiest way to explain it is to look at real estate. One is said to hold title to a property but there is no actual certificate of titie to show this yet one does hold title to real estate. That titie is the intangible I speak of. The cert of title is nothing more than the state's statement that they acknowledge the named party as holding title to the vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

And no, the only titles the state hold are to those vehicles the state actually owns. Otherwise what they are speaking of are certificates of title that have been turned into the state for whatever reason.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast