Exclamation Car Towed Because of "Expired Plates" but My Plates Are Actually Up to Date

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: Florida.

My vehicle has been parked at my mothers apartment complex for months because its been having some mechanical issues
    (its an older vehicle)
    The insurance and tag information for this vehicle is and always has been correct and up to date.

I recently found out my vehicle has been towed (It was towed 3 weeks prior)
    When I called the towing company, I was told my vehicle was towed due to my plates being expired (They said my tag sticker showed 2012 !)

I explained to them all of my information is up to date & my vehicle should have never been towed. I even told them I can provide proof of this.

The towing company employee told me I would have to pay almost $800 to get my vehicle back.

I have spoken with a rep at the sheriffs office who told me to file a police report for the missing sticker on the plate (according to her it was probably stolen)
    She also told me to take the police report to the towing company to show them I was not at fault and the sticker has been reported stolen.
    BUT she also said it is completely up to the towing company to decide if they will release the vehicle to me. She said if they don't, I have the option to sue.

I plan on filing a police report first thing in the morning & going to the towing company to show them the information.

IF this company decides not to release the vehicle to me, should I take this issue to court?

I don't want to put in time, effort & money if I don't have a strong case.

IS IT GOING TO BE WORTH PURSUING IN COURT?

If anyone could help me out with this, I would be forever grateful.

Thank you!

Thank you to anyone who took the time out to read this.

Default Re: Car Towed Because of "Expired Plates" but My Plates Are Actually Up to Date

Is the tag expired or stolen? If the tow company states that it expired in 2012, how are you claiming the sticker isn't on the vehicle and probably stolen?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Default Re: Car Towed Because of "Expired Plates" but My Plates Are Actually Up to Date

Sticker theft happens. Prime targets are vehicles that have been abandoned for months in parking lots because the owner takes months to discover the theft.

The sticker I received from the DMV & put on my car states the expiration date is 6-15
    They are telling me they towed my car because the sticker showed an expiration date of 6-12

When I explained this to the rep on the phone, she told me there is a possibility the sticker was stolen from the plate which caused the older date to be exposed.

Maybe you meant that the 2015 sticker was stolen revealing the 2012 sticker underneath?

If that is the case, make sure that in your mothers lease or the contract with the association doesn't state that a vehicle must have all current decals, plates, stickers, registration and insurance up to date.

If it states this, then pay to get your vehicle back.

Yes, that's what I meant.

The towing company also claims they sent me a certified letter which I have NEVER received.

And my mothers lease does state all of the vehicles information has to be up to date.

- - - Updated - - -

So I would still have to pay even though I can provide proof that my information is up to date as well as a police report?

The police report comes into play after the fact. If you had a police report that was dated prior to the tow, that may have helped. Talk with your mothers landlord/agent and see what if anything you could do.

1. Sponsored Links