Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Walking Out of a Store After Getting Caught Switching Price Tags

I was at Macy in Florida. Feels guilty of switching the price tags on about 10 items out of greediness. I went to a different floor to buy the items. I asked the girl to scan a few items only. But she noticed that the items price tag is not the right one and called store manager. I told her that I will buy the items at the correct counter since she cannot find the price. I went to other section and bought an item that I need and walked to the other floor where the clothing is there. I saw that the store manager followed me from far while he was on the phone. I waited there at counter to buy, a sales associate came in few minutes. She found right price for some items and removed the price tags that I put, placed the right tags and I bought most of the items. There were four items that I held back in my hand and told her I may not buy them now since I have not tried. However while I was walking to pick up some more items, she followed me and asked for the four items that I had in my hand (held back with me). she mentioned that her manager wants them to figure out how all of my items were price tagged wrong. I told her that I found them in a different racks. During this period she was asking other sales associate to go into the fitting rooms and collect all the cloths. I was able to walk out of the store after paying for my items thru my credit card. I am worried about what could happen, this is in Florida. This is first time happened. They did not question me any, did not call police.

Default Re: Walking Out of a Store After Getting Caught Switching Price Tags

What could happen? They could provide the police with the evidence that they have, in the hope of having you located and charged with the crime you attempted to commit.

I would say they might charge you with the total sum in retail theft or each tag swap as an individual count.

the items that I bought were (70% of total items were bought), I paid the price what ever the sales associate charged (with new tags on). I left 30% of the items that originally picked (did not buy them), but the price tags on them were switched by me intending to buy. Any more thoughts?

Nobody here can promise you anything. Your best bet is to stop stealing, and hope for the best.

This is the last time for my life, will not happen again. Never did any attempt except this one and only one. That is why it is haunting me. Would like to think logically how this can lead to pressing any charges against. With no knowledge, I am going poor in this area. Appreciate opinions..

How can it lead to charges? You did use your credit card to pay, so your name will be on the transaction and your card can be traced to your address.

Then there would be witness accounts of the Manager and the sales clerks. Along with surveillance video. Yep, that video would show you entering the fitting room. My guess is when the store clerk was told to get all the clothes out of the fitting room, it was so LP could find out what items were swapped, and my guess is that person the store manager was on the phone with was LP. I would bet the first clerk (the one who called the store manager, and you then said you would go to the correct counter) was interviewed by LP for their report also.

What happens if the police come knocking on your door? You can be charged with theft of all 10 of those items. They may make it one charge, they make it one charge per transaction. Each item would be at full retail price. Depending on the value of items, you may have cross from Petit Theft to Grand Theft.

If you used any tools to remove and swap price tags, that adds use of burglary tools in commission of a crime as another charge.

So what would happen next? You would pose for a mugshot, have fingerprints taken. If you're in the Tampa Bay area, you would join the Wall Of Shame on the St Pete Times website, since they publish mugshots and info on everyone arrested. Next, you may want to hire a lawyer to guide you through the legal process and see if they can get a plea deal to a lesser charge or a first time offenders program. You would have court costs and fines. The store would send you a Civil Demand for a large sum of money also. Florida is $200 or treble damages. Next, you would have a criminal record that will make finding a job/changing a job very difficult for many years, or if you have a professional license could mean the revocation of that license. See that sign in WalMart that shoplifting can cost you over $2000? They aren't kidding.

Oh my god, scared to death assuming what could happen. My life is going really well and I pray god to save me not to get into any of those. I learnt a big lesson by going thru the mental torture assuming what could happen. I am in an honorable work and personal life and shouldn't have done this.

1. Since all the price tags were changed in different fitting rooms (where video may not exist, did not use any tools) during 3 to 4 hour shopping, would they really can file a report on me and investigate the process and prove it. I know no one can predict what could happen, but looking for some opinions from others. Or at the most do they keep me under watch?

2. if worst thing happens, Wouldn't the lawyer can argue that the price tags could have been changed by someone else and I was a victim of receiving them. Since there is no evidence of me changing the price tag. Pardon for my thinking in favor of me please. I am trying to help myself to get into comfort zone. Can the lawyer try to get me out of criminal case and mug shot if it is filed? The amount may cross petit theft.

2. I am not going to go for shopping in the near future. Do you think I should have paid by cash rather than a credit card? Do you think that's why they let me go since they got my information from credit card and they don't need me there? I felt better leaving because they did not talk to me or stopped me, they fixed the price tags for lot of my items and sold them to me at right price.

3. The girl was asked to go get the stuff from the fitting room while I was working with another girl making a bill and paying. I think she tried to prolong the billing/payment process pretending that she is looking and looking for the right price. I said to her that if it takes longer, ignore it and bill the other item.

4. Afterwards also I asked her to bill other items and stayed there for sometime while she was looking for actual price on switched items.

5. The whole billing process took more than 30 - 45 minutes. At the end of the 30 minutes I see the other girl was asked to get the stuff from fitting room. That fitting room must have had only two items with switched price tags.

6. After billing process, I went to look for more items with 4 items in my hand (with switched price tags). The girl came over to me asking for those, mentioning that her manager wants to see rest of the items about how the switch happened. This is scaring me more.

7. If criminal charges are filed and mug shot was taken, how long does it stay in record? permanent? So anytime I change my job, it would appear on my background report? Oh god, this is killing me.

I am so panic now and will be for one year. I never faced police in my life, if at all there is a moment I see them coming for me, I am so afraid now. If it gets into public records with mug shot and all, oh my god, I am screwed up with my work like.

Near as a I can tell, you never actually paid an altered price. Is that correct? If so, you probably don't have much to worry about. Just stay out of the store and any Macy's in the same area.

As for what evidence they might have from the fitting room? You never know who might have been watching you and following you around while you worked.

on the items that I bought, I paid the new tag price (she found new price and attached new tags), which is the actual price. I promise not going to Macy's in near future. Learnt a big lesson for life.
    I did not recall or feel someone following me, but I could be wrong also. I saw that the girls were asking me if I am ready to pay, I kept saying NO and kept on shopping.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast