Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question How Much to Charge an Adult Child SSI Recipient for Rent

My 18 year old just received her back check and first month check. I cannot find any information on the social security website about how she should be using this money when she has no "expenses." There is nothing on their site that I can find about using some of that money toward her room and board or anything, yet she also can't save it or have more than $2000 in her account.

She has no other income or job prospects and never finished school. She is smart (is writing a book), but has had school/social anxiety since she was 13 and is too far behind.

I want her to move out, but how can she at $648 a month? Are there any youth (18-22) housing? Especially in southern California.

In the meantime (1) how do I determine how much to charge her for room and board; (2) if I do charge her, how do I do that?; and (3) what should she be spending the rest of the money on if she can't save it - whether I collect from her or not?

Default Re: What to Charge My 18 Year Old Child with SSI and Options for Living

How is it she is receiving SSI legally, when she is receiving such a great amount of support from you paying all her bills? She needs to declare all that assistance.

- - - Updated - - -

You write a rental contract and she pays you. You declare it on your taxes as rental income.

Well, she filled out all the paperwork and they checked all the documentation we gave. She has been in and out of residential schools/facilities since 13 years old. Her psychiatrist has been the same since that time and has a thick folder on all that we have done to try to get her through all of this. They know she is living at home with us, but give no advice on what to do from here. I don't want to collect money from her. I'd rather her be out on her own since to get a taste of what life is like outside of the house. She acts like she is still a 13 year old and doesn't get any of this.

But, if I don't collect for rent and board, then she isn't learning anything either.

How does one go about writing a rental contract and how do I figure out how much to charge for this? What is reasonable for food? How do I claim this on my taxes and keep a record...what do I have to do for that?

She must spend the back pay within a certain period or it will be counted against her and SSI will be suspended until it is spent. Perhaps a mobile home in a park? The problem is she could possibly get HUD housing but they will count the money against her also I believe. Janke should be by soon. He and a few other members can help you better than I.

Her back pay check was not substantial, only $2500. They approved this case fairly quickly and we never had to appeal. Her psychiatrist was very surprised that it happened that fast. She was denied Social Security, but received SSI.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835160

When an SSI recipient pays their pro-rata share of household expenses for the basics of food and shelter, the 1/3 reduction no longer applies, two months after the increase in contribution. This works fine if the household expenses are not really high and there are more than a couple of household members. In a home with large expenses and few residents, the pro-rata share can be out of the reach of an SSI recipient.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835380
    https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835120

Another method is room rental, but since you are renting a room to your child, you have to charge the market value, the same amount you would charge a stranger for the same accommodations, in order to avoid the 1/3 reduction. Doesn't matter that you wouldn't let a stranger live with you - you must decide the market value; what rooms rent for in your city, your neighborhood, etc. But you should talk to your tax professional about room rental to see if you have to declare it on your income taxes.

So if she doesn't need any money because she has no expenses, why apply for cash benefits, SSI, that are designed to help disabled and elderly poor have money for food and shelter? She could save up to $2000 and then SSI can be stopped and she can reapply when she is under the $2000 limit and needs money again.

The retroactive benefits are excluded from the $2000 resource limit for 9 months after receipt.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

If she still acts like she's 13, how do you expect her to live outside the home? You're going to have to make a decision as to whether you want her to act like an adult or act like a child. If you want her to act like an adult, then like every other adult, if she decides $648 isn't enough to live on, then she's going to have to get a JOB.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

Thank you for the information. Currently she is listed as living conditions B. So, if I have her pay her "fair share" does it need to be changed to A? Do I (or she) need to contact the SS office to change this? This is what is confusing to me - what is typical for other adult children living at home with disabilities. For example, children living at home with autism or other, similar disabilities, who are over 18. My daughter's mental health condition is similar but not identical to autism/Asperger's. Though intellectually she is smart, she has communication issue - and other issues that I don't need to go on and on about. However, they shouldn't prevent her from living on her own - but may prevent her from being able to maintain a consistent job without some help.

I did not apply - she decided to do this on her own. The goal here for myself and my husband is for her to move out, and I think she has it in her head that she can just stay with us indefinitely. While I don't have a problem having her stay with us for a while to get things figured out, I cannot stand to just watch her do her own thing and have no responsibilities, goals, or expectations that we will do everything for her. I, personally, was hoping that we could find a young adult mental health/residential program - much like the residential programs she has already been in and out of previously when she was a minor. In the programs she was in before, she was able to get group therapy, go to school, and she was also able to earn some money through jobs they worked out for her. I have not been able to find a program like this. She is still enrolled in a special ed program through our local school district because of her condition/IEP, which she is eligible to attend through age 22.

We have 7 people in our family, one of which is away at college. I did a quick workup of dividing up mortgage, utilities, and food, and 1/6th (not counting the child in college) would be approximately $550. That takes into account the mortgage, gas and electric, cable, waste, water, and grocery bills. I have not yet researched market rate for rooms for rent.

- - - Updated - - -

This must have posted right as I was writing a reply. I did not see it until a few hours later. This is EXACTLY why I am trying to sort this out - because I want her to act like an adult. I am trying to weigh my options to prompt her to step into adulthood instead of relegating herself to be dependent on others...whether it is us or some other person she decides to latch onto.

On the other hand, she did get approved for disability WITH DOCUMENTATION for the last 10 years or more of mental illness that will, most likely, be a lifelong problem. She is on medication, but it only goes so far. See above.

Cable is not considerd a living expenses for SSI purposes. They only consider the basics. You will need to give her a receipt for what she pays you and she will have to give that to SSA. She will need to contact SSA and let them know that she is now paying for her living expenses. If her resources exceed $2,000 and she is ineligible for SSI, as long as she is eligible for SSI within 12 months she won't have to reapply and go through the process all over again.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: How Much to Charge an Adult Child SSI Recipient for Rent

Doesn't that then make mom a landlord and then that money is taxable? Too bad you can't tag someone. Where is Taxing Matters?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast