Default How to Get a Copy of a Patrol Car's Video Recording for a Traffic Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Georgia
    So I am leaving work tonight at 10 pm and I stop at the stop sign. I am certain that I stopped because I had time to look left, then right and decide whether or not I wanted to pull out ahead of this car that was just coming over a hill about .25 of a mile away. So I pull out and am driving along and I see the blue lights come on. So I pull off the road and the cop comes to my window and tells me that I did not stop at the stop sign. He wrote a ticket for a failure to stop at a stop sing. I maintain that I did stop but I really want to see the video that he claims shows that I did not stop before I proceed. So what should be my course of action in obtaining the cop car recording? Thank you in advance for anytime spent reading my story and answering my question.

Default Re: How Do I See the Cop Cars Video Recording in Relation to a Failure to Stop Ticket

What makes you think there is any recording? Often the recordings do not run continually and even if they do, if the car is coming out of intersecting street, the point where you were obliged to stop. You do realize that stop means a complete cessation of motion, not just a instant locking of the wheels?

Anyhow discovery request is made to the police department involved. Be detailed in your request (Unit#, Officer Name, date, time and your citation number).

Default Re: How Do I See the Cop Cars Video Recording in Relation to a Failure to Stop Ticket

Two quick things:

In most (but not all) cases, the patrol car's recording device only comes on when the patrol car's emergency lights are activated. With that in mind, it is entirely possible that the violation was not recorded.

Next, with regard to stopping at the stop sign. Most people apply the brakes, feel the car strongly lurch forward and honestly believe they have stopped. However, you have not come to a full and complete stop until you also feel the car rock back. This is where most folks believe they have been incorrectly cited when in reality, they failed to stop.

Default Re: How to Get a Copy of a Patrol Car's Video Recording for a Traffic Ticket

Also many times a person does not stop at the sign or stop line but at the edge of the roads intersection with another road, past the stop sign and stop line.

1. Sponsored Links