Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Driver Must Not Cross Yellow Line Ever, Not Even to Turn Left from Driveway

That's a completely different issue than whether it was legal to turn left from a driveway. If the issue of the lane into which the OP was turning is an issue, he can introduce those facts such that we can discuss them. From what we've been told, nobody (but you) has suggested that the OP was driving in the incorrect lane. I'm not clear on what provision of VAT Sec. 1163 you are suggesting to have been violated.

Default Re: Driver Must Not Cross Yellow Line Ever, Not Even to Turn Left from Driveway

First it was not safe to exit the drive. OP's actions going into the area of an intersection raise the issues that action was unsafe also. It can also be argued he crossed over marked lanes illegally, failed to properly signal for and make a lane change. These issues are apparently what the officer wants time to consider.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    That's a completely different issue than whether it was legal to turn left from a driveway. If the issue of the lane into which the OP was turning is an issue, he can introduce those facts such that we can discuss them. From what we've been told, nobody (but you) has suggested that the OP was driving in the incorrect lane. I'm not clear on what provision of VAT Sec. 1163 you are suggesting to have been violated.
    The only one who was in the wrong lane was the other driver as he was driving the wrong way in the left turn lane marked for traffic going the other way. I was waiting to take a left out of my driveway, traffic was slowing for a light down the block. To be clear there are three lanes, one westbound, one eastbound, and a left turn lane for east bound traffic to take a left. As I said westbound traffic with the one lane was slowing for a light, just before it came to a complete stop a lady stopped to not block me in, and waived me on. I looked both ways, there was NOTHING coming eastbound as they were stopped on the other side of the light. I proceeded to turn left into the eastbound lane and was hit in the eastbound left turn lane by someone who crossed the yellow line and was going the wrong way.

Also, there has been a lot of "from what we know"... I will say that the other drivers story is that he wasn't trying to pass stopped vehicles by going the wrong way in the turn lane, the vehicle in front of him came to an abrupt stop and he had to enter the turn lane, hitting me. That is not very true because if you must do that to stop you may stop maybe halfway past the car in front of you were avoiding, he passed at least one car (the car that stopped for me) and hit me (this is a 30mph zone btw). There is no way this is true because traffic was coming to a slow stop so if he was behind the car that hit me, she didn't stop abruptly, If he was behind her he flew around her in the turn lane. The officer told me this (as he talked to us separately) I said that he has to be following at safe distance to avoid situations like that, and I felt he was flying past traffic the wrong way in the turn lane. I was about to argue why I felt like the other driver flew around stopped traffic, but the officer said "I have no doubt in my min that is what happened..." so I am not concerned about that, that's when he started talking about me not being allowed to cross over a yellow line while turning left, "ever."

Sorry ifi rambled or didn't make sense but I whacked my head pretty hard and am still feeling "confused" if you will.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    First it was not safe to exit the drive. OP's actions going into the area of an intersection raise the issues that action was unsafe also. It can also be argued he crossed over marked lanes illegally, failed to properly signal for and make a lane change. These issues are apparently what the officer wants time to consider.
    I was no where near an intersection, I was in the middle of the block between two intersections.. You can argue all you want but NYS V&T law 1126 permits me to make a left out of my driveway over a double yellow line. Can you point out where it says I cannot?

As far as arguing that I failed to signal, just stop assuming, I signaled and even have proof as I took pictures of the accident and the left turn signal was clearly on...

View Post
    Dis...you are doing it again.

Not as an interpretation of statute, it must be done safely. You claim to have entered into the intersection safely, yet an accident happened. You crossed into the culmination of the intersection and apparently failed to properly introduce the positioning of the car legally. The distance when you and the other vehicle entered this lane by your own definition was half a block away, you should have had time to straighten your car and avoid the accident with that much room, yet again you failed. Now that we have gone back and forth on this, though I think clearly laws were broken, I do not think any would have changed the outcome significantly except that I think the distance was shorter and the damage likely avoided if OP would have had time to straighten his car.

View Post
    Not as an interpretation of statute, it must be done safely. You claim to have entered into the intersection safely, yet an accident happened. You crossed into the culmination of the intersection and apparently failed to properly introduce the positioning of the car legally.
    I've already told you this did not happen in or near an intersection...

View Post
    The distance when you and the other vehicle entered this lane by your own definition was half a block away, you should have had time to straighten your car and avoid the accident with that much room, yet again you failed.
    I never saw this vehicle before the accident and never said I did. Fail for you...

View Post
    Now that we have gone back and forth on this, though I think clearly laws were broken, I do not think any would have changed the outcome significantly except that I think the distance was shorter and the damage likely avoided if OP would have had time to straighten his car.
    The only one going back and forth is you! The only thing at issue here (that I asked for help here) is with crossing the double yellow line after taking a left from a private drive way. You have been told you were wrong by everyone here and tried to cook up liability for a driver who did nothing wrong.

Quote Quoting wingman
    View Post
    Sorry ifi rambled or didn't make sense but I whacked my head pretty hard and am still feeling "confused" if you will.
    The short version is this: Disagreeable got the law wrong and is now scrambling to find a way to find some other basis upon which he can argue that he was nonetheless 'correct'.

View Post
    Did I suggest the OP was driving in the incorrect lane? Wow. People around here have a tough time with the language.

- - - Updated - - -

View Post
    The other driver breaking the same law is not a defense. I provided the statute OP was in violation of, which is what they requested.
    http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/VAT/VII/24
    So you're citing 10 different sections and it's in there somewhere?

- - - Updated - - -

View Post
    Here's the relevant statute, which permits turning left out of your driveway.
    So as far as we know, the OP didn't anything unless he could have reasonably seen the other accident vehicle. Since there was at least one lane of stopped traffic between the OP and the accident vehicle, and the OP didn't see that vehicle, despite looking in that direction at least once, then the OP is probably not at all at fault. And, the other accident vehicle violated 3 separate code sections while the OP did not.

- - - Updated - - -

View Post
    Not as an interpretation of statute, it must be done safely. You claim to have entered into the intersection safely, yet an accident happened. You crossed into the culmination of the intersection and apparently failed to properly introduce the positioning of the car legally. The distance when you and the other vehicle entered this lane by your own definition was half a block away, you should have had time to straighten your car and avoid the accident with that much room, yet again you failed. Now that we have gone back and forth on this, though I think clearly laws were broken, I do not think any would have changed the outcome significantly except that I think the distance was shorter and the damage likely avoided if OP would have had time to straighten his car.
    Where did he claim to enter an intersection? The assumptions here are just mind-boggling. Either learn to read and comprehend or remain silent.

- - - Updated - - -

View Post
    The short version is this: Disagreeable got the law wrong and is now scrambling to find a way to find some other basis upon which he can argue that he was nonetheless 'correct'.
    Correct. And from what the OP says, the cop got the law wrong too.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=wingman;864651]

Also, there has been a lot of "from what we know"...

- - - Updated - - -

The reason people use qualifiers like that is because we only have one side of the story. The ideal situation would be to have the other driver present their side, but we don't have that happening here, as the other driver is likely not aware of the discussion.

Disagreeable,

With respect, I believe your wrong here. Your original contention was that it is illegal to cross a double yellow centerline when turning left onto a roadway, but that is not correct. I've heard that one once before from somebody, and never found a modern law to back it up. It might have been in the vehicle codes long ago... Now I'm not really sure what your arguing. Perhaps if the original poster wishes to include the location so we can look at it in google and give more definitive answers.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2